Running thread for 2019

Same, I tried running with nothing the first few times and was bored stiff.

At the moment music is fine - I’ve got a few albums or DJ mixes which I tend to save up and work through each week, but I might give a podcast a go as that’s a good idea and not something I’d considered before.

I’ve got a core group of running buddies, so when I go out on my log runs it’s usually with company so no music. But even my solo runs tend to be music free. I did plug-in for the really long (16-miles plus) solo runs prior to my marathon. 3 hours listening to my own heavy breathing and traffic noise was too much, I needed distraction then.

Did the Harris Half Marathon last weekend, which is part of the Heb5 series across the Hebredian Islands. Was a very well organised race with only about 250 runners and with absolutely beautiful scenery, including Luskentyre Beach, starting at sea level on one side of the island, up and through the hills in the middle (up to 140m) and back down at the finish. I’d not done any proper hill training due to a dodgy knee but though challenging, they weren’t too bad. I found I could mainly maintain my pace going up hills and would be going past people but then could kick on, on the downhill sections so got overtaken myself. Something to practice for next time! Would highly recommend it though as its super scenic and they lay on a great lunch afterwards!

1 Like

It’s a really nice run with a slightly deceptively tricky hill halfway through. The last 5k is all downhill and you can absolutely smash it though. I’m thinking of doing it too but football will probs get in the way

1 Like

Completely went off running with music. Happily do 3:30 solo training runs with nothing now. Without wanting to sound like a colossal wanker I quite like not being able to distract myself and having to be properly involved in the run, scenery etc.

2 Likes

Fuck off, jelly beans

5 Likes

Yeah, yeah. I stopped listening to music at parkrun, because it felt like I was missing out on the social aspect of it. Soon felt that I just preferred to not be constantly fiddling with my earphones and just enjoying being out there. As I said, I did still need the distraction for the really long runs, but that’s mostly because my runs are also so urban. I think if I had something more scenic, I’d leave them at home.

Always listen to podcasts running, esp if it’s longer than 10k. When I ran my marathon, my bluetooth headphones stopped working straight away at the start and I was really annoyed as I had fully charged them. It was fine in the end, I actually quite enjoyed just concentrating on the run and the fact that there were supporters all the way along definitely helped. Realised later that they were actually charged and I had accidentally set them to minimum volume. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

Ah yeah I’m lucky that my long runs are round lakes and the peak district and that. Probs would be a bit unsafe with headphones on some of the country roads anyway

1 Like

I’m off to Snowdonia with the family in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to some beautiful runs around there.

Tourism

5 Likes

Hey team.

Anyone after a cheap second hand running watch? If so, have I got the deal for you!!

I’m thinking of upgrading mine and so I’ve got a Forerunner 610 + chest strap HRM available for anyone that wants. It’s old, a bit slow to start up, and requires a USB dongle connected to a laptop to upload your data, but is otherwise in pretty decent nick - battery is still alright, does all of the non-advanced running dynamics stuff and will sync via Garmin Connect to more or less any app/website you want.

If anyone wants it, will ship with charger, HRM, and USB widget (once I’ve found it) for a token amount.