Running thread for 2019

Did a nice gentle 7 mile run before parkrun this morning. All about getting miles into the ol’ legs, without worrying about pace. Lovely start to the day!

I’m not new to exercise or running but did my first park run (kids stuff normally on sat morning). Ran there and back with the wife so 10k in all.

I’m not pushing it pace wise, I’ve had knee problems in the past, only started running again recently in December, and I have a bike commute to complicate things. Worried i’ll burn out and not get enough recovery so coming up with a new year plan that can incorporate both.

12k cross country this afternoon. Somehow managed my best ever 10k (any surface) and fastest 5k (any surface) for six years within it. Finish in 56 mins and 50 secs.

Need to push my 5k and 10k now, there’s more there obv

That’s great for a cross-country, good for you :slight_smile:

Broke my 1km PB a few days ago but it doesn’t really count as it was a sprint down a steep downhill.

Just watched this on iplayer. Thought it was pretty good. In particular I’m happy someone seems to have scientifically argued that running will not fuck my knees up long term, and can actual benefit them.

Amateur

Using mapped street layouts, a bicycle and forward planning would indeed count as ‘professional’ compared to my ‘amateur’ free-drawing, you are correct.

So my first Parkrun and 5km non stop this weekend was 31:27 which I’m really pleased with. Mostly for the not stopping bit.

How many times a week should I run to try to bring that down? I do so much other exercise that I find it hard to fit it all in without exhausting myself but thinking I should try to fit in at least one more run mid week if I can?

Firstly, well done!

Re. bringing the time down: It depends what you’re doing at the moment. Most coaches would not recommend increasing your weekly running distance or your longest run distance by more than 10% per week.

Do you do any treadmill work at the gym at the moment? How much cardio do you currently do, and across which zones do you usually do it?

The key is to do intervals. I was the same as you as few years back, stuck at the 31 min stage and couldn’t get under 30. A few weeks of interval runs got me to 28 something. It’s not about the amount you run, it’s how hard you push yourself. You’ve basically got to retrain your lungs to cope with a faster pace.

This is what I thought may be best because I need to get better at running up the longish hill on the Parkrun but my lungs did struggle a little and I wasn’t super quick there.

I do no treadmill work apart from a 5 min warm up because I don’t see the point in cardio at the gym cause I lift weights and get cardio elsewhere.
Usually cycle twice a week (30km total) plus one spin class and one class with tababata and other cardio like stuff and then 3 weighs sessions which includes a little cardio (but in the form of kettlebell swings and other weight lifting cardio shit)

I worry about overdoing it :joy:

I don’t think I’m unfit, like it was tough towards the end of the run but it’s more that I can’t seem to make my legs go faster?

You can do hill intervals as well as speed ones. Both work.

I bloody hate hills

Okay, as @laelfy says, you need to do intervals, fartleks or hill reps.

They shouldn’t be long sessions, but they will be intense, so don’t do them on the day before or after any other intense legwork that you already do.

For intervals you need to be getting your heart rate into the top end - like to over 90% of your MaxHR for short periods - say 5mins hard then 2mins walk and repeat no more than five times. Or maybe 2mins hard and 30 secs walk and repeat no more than five times. When you go hard, it needs to be intense, so make sure that you do a very slow warm up run and a cool down run either side of interval session, and use a foam roller on your legs afterwards too.

2 runs so far! I’m terrible now! Ha ha ha! :+1:

Oh, one more thing: It will come eventually, but try and be aware of your body shape and posture when you’re doing interval sessions, especially at the end of a hard burst. Losing your ‘form’ towards the end of a race/park run is something that it is very easy to do, and it dramatically reduces how efficient your running is at the end.

Try to run tall, try not to heel strike, try not to overstride (increase your cadence instead), try and engage your core and your glutes when you run. If it helps, imagine that you’re being suspended from a piece of string attached to the top of your head and your body is hanging below - it helps to discourage you from sticking your bum out and letting your shoulders drop down and forwards.

One big advantage that you’ll have is that you will already have very good core strength, so you’re starting from a good point, but you may not be aware of how you can use that to help you move efficiently when you run.

My starting point for 2019 is

5km - 28mins aiming for below 24
10km - 59 mins aiming for below 53

Realised I’m going to have to start the Strava just before the running part begins in order to be able to work out how quickly I do the 5K bit. Wasn’t really worth it before but now I’m on week 9 I’m doing the full 30 mins.

Strava still seems to crash midway although this time I failed to make a noticeable impact on my running map - normally you can see a sudden straight line between two points as it doesn’t interpolate.

I need to find the charger to my fitbit so I can monitor the HR.

Ok I’m going to give intervals a go this week on a run. I’m not sure I could master 5mins hard straight away but can do 2 mins to start with and build up over time.

Yeah I think I am guilty of losing my form. I can feel my body dragging but then again I don’t have an awful lot of good form with running anyway. Whenever I see myself running in the reflection of a window or mirror, I look quite odd and not like everyone else running. Not sure how to improve that. I think it’s because i’m quite heavy on the bottom and heavy on the top so I just do not have a runners body.