Sam Fender

surprisingly great/not shit

discuss

Missing a trick if he doesn’t record a Lee & Nancy style album with Debbie Gibson.

2 Likes

There is something very satisfying that he plays a Fender guitar.

2 Likes

Seems like a really talented lad, tbf.

Saw an interview with him earlier this year and I really, really liked the cut of his jib. Really nice lad with the right level of earnestness.

Album’s a bit clunky but he’s like 22 and it’s his debut. I really like it on balance (although it is a bit too artificially Springsteen in places). Definitely someone to be encouraged.

Springsteen by way of Sam’s town.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I totally ignored him bc he’s a british white male solo artist so lumped him in with yer Sheeran / Capaldi spotifypaintdryingplaylistcore

Haven’t listened to confirm this isnt the case but it’s nice that it seemingly may not be

1 Like

Probably gets them for free for his accidental promotion of the name

1 Like

Woosh!

2 Likes

And he’s been very specifically positioned in that area by his label, seemingly. But to me this kind of thing would quite easily appeal to 6music listening/Latitude going War on Drugs etc fans. Bit of a weird one.

got a spotify ad and looked him up cos I was bored and holy shit teeeeerrible

1 Like

Yeah his heart seems to be in the right place and there’s an idea or two, but it’s MASSIVELY over produced and he’s way too cranked up in the mix. Songwriting’s very clunky and ham fisted too, where toned down a bit he might have had something.

Seems a shame a major got hold of him. Might have been interesting developing at a lower level for a few albums but maybe he’s too handsome. I can imagine it will be difficult for him to course correct from such a BANGING album though tbh.

i think i’m quite partial to overproduced rock records. and i kinda like how well natured the lyrics are despite being a little on the nose.

i’m getting older, eugh

1 Like

I’m not listening to someone called Sam Fender

2 Likes

Not setting the bar that high, to be honest.

More of a fan of Terry Gibson myself.

1 Like

I did :blush:

1 Like

get the scissors

1 Like

Crunch and Crumble ftw

1 Like