Saturday night early 2000s indie club which no one goes to but it plays better music than the other one and stops after about four months

3 Likes

Genuinely never went to one of these. Thankfully.

And as such am unaware if this is the sort of indie that made it on to those nights, but I bet it was

and this maybe

2 Likes

Me and my mate RuairĆ­ used to have a section where weā€™d play Ramones tunes and Nirvana b-sides. Thereā€™s a reason the club night didnā€™t last long.

3 Likes

The only time I DJed one of those nights I played this at the end of my set and it was the only song anyone danced to ALL NIGHT.

1 Like

a novelty one for the ironists out there

4 Likes

I remember this song. Listening back it couldā€™ve been a Stooges song tbh.

1 Like

Cackling at the thought of Ignatius singing this

1 Like

Still gets an occasional non-ironic spin at DJ sets from the drummer in Not Earth, who is a free jazz deviant.

This is also a favourite of his.

Foals DJ set tonight. Keyboards/synth chap is up.

Me: 'hey man, really like your band. Can you play this?"
Him: 'it was two songs ago"

(Actually happened)

This was so many good indie clubs in Manchester 94 to 98 when I was a student. Only the broad obvious ones could keep going but then even those were dying back by 98.

This has reminded me of a scene in Cardiff Barfly circa 2008 when I got the dj (gareth from that band you know) to play Les Os by The Unicorns. I missed it cause I went outside for a fag, and he was like Ā«ā€¦oh. No one dancedĀ»

3 Likes