Savages / Jehnny Beth

listening to I’m the Man, quite like it… so far…

what are you’s beefs with it

1 Like

I’m thinking this. I really like it!

1 Like

This is the deal breaker for me. Bad lyrics don’t bother me so much, since I’m listening for the music, and I can tolerate some sonic avant-gardism, but there need to some tunes to make we want to come back to it.

1 Like

A lot of the tracks feel a bit like cool interstitials, like if there were a bunch of bangers or whatever then these tracks would do a valuable job breaking them up a bit, pacing things a bit, creating an aesthetic or mood. The problem is there aren’t the memorable rager tracks to provide the actual musical substance

1 Like

Oh and totally agree with missing the rest of savages. They’re a brilliant band, got a lot of time for the drummer especially. They provide a lot of the ballast and musical heft that allows jb to flex around on top. Without them she does seem a bit unmoored

1 Like

Had a quick listen to it. It’s fine made me miss Savages though.

I like the Jehnny Beth album. Nowhere close to how brilliant the second Savages album is but it’s good to have her back.

Her sets at Peckham Audio and The Roundhouse were probably gigs of the year for me. This is her “crowd walking” at The Roundhouse.

I’m not listening out for the lyrics especially, it’s just there’s too many clunky lines that leap out. Like you I can overlook dodgy lyrics if the lines are delivered well and there’s a tune behind it. unfortunately neither of those things are applicable here.

Feel like I’m maybe piling on a bit but then again, have you seen the reviews for this album? I mean, I’m not knocking anyone for liking it but there’s literally been not one negative review for this record online. Seems a little odd to me given that the lack of tunes is a glaring flaw.

1 Like

Nutshell

1 Like

I really like this.

1 Like