Savings questions

So you have to start from £0 with them and can only put in a maximum £300 a month? Works out at £180 interest a year I suppose which isn’t to be scoffed at. Although I can’t imagine after, say, 5 years they’d be giving you 5% on the whole lot would they?

I chuck the 200 into the ol’ Help To Buy ISA (LOL)
some money goes into the stocks and shares isa
Any leftover I put into index funds

Saving is pretty pointless at the moment due to interest rates and inequality, you’re better spunking your cash on funs in the hopes you can meet and marry/hustle a billionaire (they’re always on the look out for fun peeps since their lives are so hollow and they’ve lost their souls)

1 Like

Unlikely, these types of accounts usually automatically turn into a different type after the year is over

Yeah that’s what I thought.

Not worth the faff for £180 max is it.

Often you can then open another one and start again.

Definitely could not be arsed with that.

1 Like

Not in my opinion.

If you want to put some money somewhere for a while and not have to manage it too actively, for me, the index funds have done the best. I started with them 2 years ago, got about 7k in there now and I’m up about 12% - so 6% per year averaged (oh yeah and a management fee of 0.5%^ I think)… So still quite shit. Plus they can go down easily, I was down by about 100 quid at one point. Brexit made things shoot up funnily enough because of the pounds devaluation, things have dropped again recently due to the pound recovering a bit maybe… butwhatthefuckdoIknow?

Yeah I reckon I’ll need to use my savings in 12-18 months so anything I do with them now is a bit moot tbh.

We’ve both got Santander current accounts plus a joint acc which do a good job on cashback when you pay your bills through them, then will shortly be getting some not-insignificant bunce when we cash in our HTB ISAs. They would have been worthless in London, of course, but Leeds is a different kettle of fish.
Great chat.

Aye its a wank scheme, probably only a 10% chance I’ll ever use it and get the 25% bonus from the gub. During Brexit Chaos things might change and moving to a dilapidated shed in the middle of nowhere might become more appealing

1 Like

I got €351 out them earlier this year actually because of a 6 hour flight delay.

Wonder how that piece of legislation will work after we leave the EU…