Scarred for Life: Hauntology, old British television and slightly disconcerting folklore

Interesting article around 90s/pre-millennial hauntology…

6 Likes

That’s a really superb thoughtful write-up.

Gonna have to check out the stuff on the YouTube playlist.

2 Likes

Well fuckin’ haunto yeah?

0358eca2-9140-4a1a-9069-105474f251c8-bestSizeAvailable

3 Likes

I remember watching this! My mates all watched it too and we spent the next week talking about “the Last American Freak Show” at school. Probably got me into reading the Fortean Times a few years later too.

1 Like

Have been meaning to watch this for a few months, don’t really wanna subscribe to bfi though (oh 14 day free trial - YOINK)

Saw it come up as the stone club film of the month in august, hadn’t previously heard how much stewart lee is into it.

1 Like

Probably should’ve posted this in here too, old ITV doc, sorry if it being about witches is too on the nose but what I’ve seen so far seems perfect for in here.

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/its-ok-to-begin-halloween-now/69030/142?u=scout

just had this email from Weird Walk, which may interesting for those of you in That London

Big collab this. We’ve long been big fans of Deeper Into Movies’ work. So when they asked us what our favourite folk horror film is, and do we want to screen it in a 100-year-old cinema in Dalston? We were quick to reply: The Ballad of Tam Lin , and, yes please.
Not only that but this special screening will also be introduced by the film’s star, and national treasure, Ian McShane (Lovejoy , Deadwood , Game Of Thrones ). And not only that, following the screening there will be a Q&A with Ian and Britain’s greatest living stand-up comedian Stewart Lee. What a blessed autumn equinox.
More info and ticket link below. It’s time to pay your tithe to hell…
Rio Cinema, Dalston. Monday 31st October 2022
Hollywood enchantress Ava Gardner (The Killers ) casts a glamorous, beguiling spell across this eerily evocative, unjustly overlooked British folk horror from 1971. Loosely based around the traditional Scottish ballad, and shot in the Scottish Borders, it would be the sole directorial credit of legendary Planet of the Apes actor, Roddy McDowall.
Swinging-London photographer Tom Lynn (Ian McShane , Lovejoy ), the current bedroom favourite of beautiful, wealthy widow Mrs Cazaret (Gardner), joins his lover and a kooky coven of bright young things for decadent debauchment at a remote Scottish moorland retreat. But when Tom falls instead for Janet (Stephanie Beacham , Dracula AD 1972 ), daughter of the local vicar (Cyril Cusack , Fahrenheit 451 ), he must face the fiery fury of a woman scorned: drug-fuelled, dangerous, deadly games…
Deluxe Blu-Ray to be released by BFI on the 10th October, also available to purchase (and get signed?) at the event.
BOOK TICKETS

2 Likes

Havent heard this yet but sounds alright

“Zakia Sewell embarks on a quest for Albion, through the songs, stories and symbols of British folk culture.”

5 Likes

Just watched The Black Tower on Mubi - 80s short film, very hauntological / urban horror. Brilliant stuff.

4 Likes

ooooh

5 Likes

Really enjoyed this, myself too

1 Like

1st chapter of The Dark is Rising is up. I assume most people will wait till tomorrow to listen on Midwinters eve in time with the story so we wont know for a while but fingers crossed for it to be good.

3 Likes

Mentioned by a few people already but Children of the Stones was proper freaky. Watched it again a couple of years ago & the whole thing is just like a distilled and far too potent shot of childhood

One thing not mentioned in the thread that ranks alongside it was a particular episode of Stig of the Dump that creeped the hell out of me in a way that’s hard to describe

It was the episode where Barney travelled back in time in a kind of dream sequence with Stig on some kind of midsummer night’s hunt on the plain below Stonehenge. Don’t think there was any dialogue the entire episode, just pure haunting 80s tv meeting paleolithic mythology. Probably haven’t seen it since I was 8 or something but it was proper twisted magic that I’ll never forget

2 Likes

BBC have done a new podcast radio play version of this.

Leot advertising it to me during the, quite good, lovecraft adaptation I was listening to.

2 Likes

Yep, that got a mention upthread. I’ll check it out…though a large part of the weirdness of it watching back was in the aesthetics of some kind of forgotten England of women dressing like early Kate Bush & men dressing like Open University engineering nerds and driving about the countryside in a massive Ford Granada

1 Like

I’m that case then you just need to visit “insert name of provincial town”

2 Likes

Plenty of yer common-or-garden remembering stuff (nothing wrong with that), so not exclusively hauntology by any means, but plenty to dig into in the Looks Unfamiliar podcast and host Tim Worthington’s website.

1 Like

12 Likes

haha interesting i am wearing my weird walk t shirt today

2 Likes

Plan to start Edward Parnell’s Ghostland soon. Anyone here read it?