School Discos

Went to one at the miner’s welfare aged about 10 where someone’s big brother did a full Michael Jackson routine complete with crotch grabs, high kicks and moon walk. He got a round of applause afterwards and just left. My cousin was so impressed all she wanted to do for months afterwards was plan dance routines.

5 Likes

None in primary schools, but at least twice a year in secondary school. Because of local drinking laws, they were split in two: one night for 12 to 15 year olds, and another night for 16 to 18 year olds. At the latter one they served booze, obviously.

Initially the school would provide the DJ, but their choice of music was awful, and after we staged a sitdown during one of the school discos, they allowed the student board to recruit a number of DJs from the student population for each night, so the music catered for a lot more different tastes. Headbanging to Motörhead would become a highlight of many school discos.

They were always held in the assembly hall, which was darkened for the occasion, except for the flashing disco lights positioned on the stage. There was a lot of snogging going on behind the curtains, allegedly.

1 Like

Me and 3 pals had a very authentic dance routine organised for the Grease lightning medley.

6 Likes

Panda pops and pick n mix, it’s amazing we don’t have diabetes.

1 Like

I never went to a school disco, wasn’t a thing.

However, it’s definitely a thing now, as I am taking my five year old daughter to a disco at school tonight. It is a glow disco. She is beyond excited, I am not.

1 Like

what’s a glow disco? j neon clothing and glowsticks and stuff?

:grinning:

Why is this funny

3 Likes

Not quite the same as a disco but at the end of A levels my comp had a prom in the local theatre.
I rented a golden tuxedo.

2 Likes

I remember me and my friend in year 6 pissing ourselves laughing after overreacting to a song we didn’t like by screaming “noooo” and dry heaving

Also my trying to breakdance by just faceplanting the floor and kicking my legs a bit

2 Likes

Pretty much.

I only vaguely remember them in primary school. Catholic school so they probably wouldn’t allow us to have any fun. Absolutely none in high school (all girls so guess they thought we wouldn’t be interested?). Had a prom at the end of a-levels which was genuinely good fun because the whole year went out on the town together afterwards.

Went to a school open evening last night and the smell of the Bunsen burners in the science labs took me on a massive nostalgia trip, it was visceral and very weird.

Just thinking about how my dad would take me to the annual primary school disco and sit there in the school hall reading a book and I’d be so ungrateful cos he would take me home way earlier than my friends went home and I was allowed one (1) panda pop and no sweets. Now I realise how godawful it must have been to have to sit listening to the likes of Kavana and Hearsay for two hours on a Friday evening.

Went to a lot of 14th/15th birthday parties not long after It’s Like That by Run DMC and Jason Nevins came out and this was a very common occurrence (from other party attendees, I don’t think you were there)

2 Likes

I remember enjoying primary school ones, but never went to any secondary school ones after my first year cos I was just too awkward.

There was a prom-type thing at the end of sixth form but they only sold double tickets and there was no way I was getting a date (and plus, I had an internet girlfriend) so I didn’t go.

I do remember going to a band night in sixth form. Some friends did a set of covers and an original. This included Motown Junk by the Manics, and theguy on guitar was insistent on doing the Sweet Child o’ Mine intro thing the Manics used to, but he completely fucked it. Ended with a group of teachers doing a set of Beatles covers, tbf they were pretty good. Definitely some unrealised rock n roll fantasies being lived out.

….and you shall know us by

8 Likes

At my year 7 school disco I was persuaded to get on stage and beatbox. I still vividly remember this 30+ years later. I cannot beatbox. I’m deeply embarrassed on behalf of 11 year old me.

Also, these were the songs that seemed to get played a lot back then:

And this one for the end of the evening awkward slow dancing:

how much were you selling them for?

1 Like
2 Likes

Bargain!