School music lessons

How were yours? Good? Shit? Any funny stories? Lifelong resentment?

1 Like

Shit in that we learned nothing about music, which was something I’d have liked to learn more about at a younger age.

Fun in that we used to try and get every keyboard in the class to play the preset song (Sur le pont d’Avignon) in unison.

2 Likes

bloody awful.
25 minutes a week. small drafty room at the end of a long forgotten corridor with enough miniature casio keyboards for one between two in a class of 35 or whatever.
one teacher who was semi retired and long past caring and just used to put the keyboards out for us to fuck around on.

my stories in the other thread relate to primary school, this was secondary school.

1 Like

Failed my grade 4 violin because my teacher had been so harsh on me that I was certain I was going to fail, then when I got out he shouted at me “what the hell was that?! You can play those pieces in your sleep, you should have aced that!” Might have been nice to have told me that at any point before the exam, chief.

Then on results day, the solid gold prick of a head of music called me to let me know that I was the only person in the entire school to have failed a grading.

Didn’t stick with it for much longer after that, for some reason. Probably a coincidence.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I got nothing really from them that I recall. I’m not entirely sure how you’re meant to teach much to kids. I mean learning instruments is hard and takes practice and money and stuff.

That said, I font have any big negative thoughts about music. It wasn’t hard learning so I appreciated the mind relax

1 Like

Was at peak nu-metal fan dickhead for school music lessons so wasn’t very respectful of the syllabus, despite doing it for GCSE, then college, then uni

Music tech lessons were infinitely better than music ones.

3 Likes

Correct. Wonder if I can still navigate Cubase

1 Like

Really boring except for one day when we were told to get into groups to rehearse and perform ‘a popular song’ and everyone did All Saints recitals or Oasis on acoustic guitars and me and 3 of my pals did a very screamy version of Lounge Act.

2 Likes

Did you always do drums? Did you learn at school at all or much?

DJ
DJ
DDDDDDDDDDDJ
DJ

10 Likes

I miss cubase :frowning:

1 Like

Guitar at school! Didn’t have drums lessons until college

No I was a very very bad pupil at guitar lessons. Still don’t know my scales really

1 Like

Utter shit (Comp school classes years 7-9)

If you weren’t already a grade 6 violin or whoever the teacher showed zero interest.

Just took the group of music swots to the front of the class and taught them and everyone else was left to just muck about with those scrapy fish things and cocunut shells at the back.

Utter utter waste of time.

3 Likes

Fuck it must have been much better in terms of options when computers were a thing outside of a small room labelled “Information Technology”

3 Likes

Who the fuck does mate? :grinning:

1 Like

Had no idea about grades and whatever until we got to year 9, when were told we needed to be at least grade 3 in something in order to continue to GCSE.

The school turned the music room into a gym a few years later.

2 Likes

Remember having to perform Day Tripper in a school assembly :frowning:

I will forever hate that song

1 Like

Oh no, such a great riff too.

I played it recently and F was like, “I know that one!” Yeah if course she does, not Radiohead tho. Failed dad

1 Like