Scottish Islands and Highlands advice thread

Nice one, will try and check it out!

What I was trying to say yeah car and trains are more options than flights

Esp if you get lucky and find a cache of Bog Lard.

went to the coigach peninsula in the summer and it was pure magic

Are there any affordable train journeys that go through these places?

anytime return from glasgow to mallaig is Ā£62. According to my dad itā€™s worth every penny.

obviously you can get advanced single tickets for less, and you can break the journey in fort william.

Also, planning a jaunt round the western Isles in August for approx 10 days - 2 weeks, want to take in Jura, Islay and Mull.

Thereā€™s a documentary on Jura and Gigha on iplayer at the moment (grand tours of Scottish islands). Iā€™ve been watching lots of such programmes recently feeding my fantasy of running away to live on a remote Scottish island.

1 Like

You can fly to Inverness from Manchester?

yep you can. Thereā€™s a direct flight to Stornoway as well.

sorry, flight isnā€™t direct from Manchester to Stornoway - my bad.

Itā€™s amazing.

That wasnā€™t meant to be a question :wink:

1 Like

YO, so many months later this is actually happening next couple days, we will be:

• Driving up A9 to Inverness, with a wee stop at Aviemore to have a bit of an explore and a bite
  • Probably spend a night or two checking out Inverness?
  • Driving around the highlands, either to Skye or further north?
  • Driving down the West Coast, past Fort William and Glencoe, stopping at Inervary/Loch Fyne for some dinner

So I guess specific recommendations (other than whatā€™s already here) now are, whatā€™s worth checking out in Inverness itself?
Whatā€™s best for our day exploring the North? Skye or further up?

Cheers!

If you have time Iā€™d not drive up the A9 to Inverness and take a detour to the road that takes you alongside Loch Ness. IE - cut off the A9 at Dalwhinnie along the A86 then up the A82. Itā€™s fairly stunning.

Also, if you have the chance and time head right to the north of Scotland and drive along the A836 and A838 from Thurso to Tongue and Durness and then down the west coast A835 to Ullapool and onwards to Skye. It is an absolutely beautiful drive, but some of the roads are tight so it takes longer than it looks because of all the stop offs for pictures and to take in the scenery. Iā€™d knock off one of the nights in Inverness to do this.

Glencoeā€¦fucking WOW!!!

1 Like

We were planning on going down Loch Ness on the way back down towards fort William, is it a big difference?

Also we are only really using Inverness as a base to explore from so we wonā€™t be there loads, probably just for an evening

1 Like

The A82 is pretty much better than the A9 the whole way, if youā€™re starting from Glasgow thatā€™s the road Iā€™d take (although if youā€™re coming back that way then fair enough).

1 Like

Yeah idea was
Day 1: Glasgow to Inverness via aviemore (so a9)
Day 2: Explore north/Skye
Day 3: Inverness to Glasgow on a82 with a stop at Loch Fyne/Inveraray

Itā€™s just the day 2 but we need to decide on I.e what exactly to do while up north