Me and my partner are likely moving to Manchester in ~3-6 months (depending on when her work allows her to switch offices) and would like to generally know what kind of areas people would recommend looking in for housing. Aside from work/university visits both of us know very little about the city. (The move is partially proximity-to-family driven, partially time-to-save-some-money driven, etc)
We have a few friends there from different groups and will be asking them too ofc but it’s nice to get a cross-section of opinions and I consider you friends so. The initial plan is to rent for a year and then assess the situation.
So some essential info with that in mind:
- We don’t have a car at this point in time so would be relying on PT for now
- TV would be working quite near Piccadilly Gardens so transport shouldn’t be much of an issue as far as I can tell? Would be nice to get her commute down a lot cos it’s been 3h a day down here and she really deserves a break. (I’m happy cycling places and don’t have a job lined up so I’m not putting myself in the equation at all here)
- Budget friendly is obviously preferable but we’re moving out of London, so I think most places are going to be an improvement. Plus my partner won’t have to pay extortionate amounts for a train season ticket.
- No kids. No pets yet but cat-friendly would be a bonus
- Big fans of pub culture, less so bars and that, so if there’s a particular area with a high concentration of good boozers we’d be all ears
- Preferably a bit quiet but not dead, if you get what I mean
- Otherwise don’t care too much about local amenities, happy to travel a wee bit
Hopefully that’s a little bit helpful but I’m certain to have missed some stuff so ask away
Thanks in advance, really appreciate it.