Self Defense Family / Drug Church

A weekend on and how we getting on with this troops? Full disclosure this is maybe my favourite thing they’ve ever done:

Loving it.

1 Like

Big fan. Can’t stop listening to it.

1 Like

I get a strong Bad Seeds vibe from the whole thing, am I totally wrong or is there some truth in that? I can really imagine Nick Cave singing over some of the instrumentals

2 Likes

this has the feeling of a grower but still great on first listen

1 Like

Yeah man, given he gets literally mentioned on the record, it’s a definite thing

Into this. Thanks!

1 Like

would probably love this if i hadnt heard any of their other stuff. for me, its been a steady decline since sincerely. thought this LP was pretty boring in comparison to the others.

I’m liking it already and it feels like it’s going to get better and better, definitely my album of the month. I think my favorite is “The Right Kind of Adult”. For some reason that isolated “Call anyone enough and they’ll answer” is a really effective album closing line.

3 Likes

yeah I adore that final line, so affecting!

1 Like

I’d never heard of this band until recently but I love this record. Blue vinyl version arrived this morning.

1 Like

Ooh that reminds me I’ll have one waiting for when I get home :heart_eyes:

FYI, their previous stuff was a bit heavier than this but you can tell it’s the same writing team. Check out Heaven is Earth or the collected playlist above if you’re wanting more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Btw here’s my in depth review

Glad to hear it. I’ve enjoyed this one but at times I’m itching for them to let go and get a bit noisier… are their previous along those lines?

I remember a good while ago getting slightly obsessed with various bands on Deathwish and really enjoying End of a Year. Listening to their debut now and you can tell it’s roughly the same band but would never have realised unless it was pointed out on here with it being so long ago and the name change

1 Like

Yeah absolutely, basically what you said about End of Year, they’ve just been edging towards this point for a while

I just found out about this band today from this thread. This is excellent.

@Severed799 I think I’ve loved everything you’ve recommended this year. Maybe we should just have a thread of things you like so I can check them out. :smiley:

1 Like

I mean, I’d obviously be well into that, but you can also just do that here:

https://muckrack.com/adam-turner-heffer

1 Like

I bought Heaven is Earth and it’s wonderful. I still really like the new one but I can see why people prefer Heaven - it’s a bit more dynamic and varied, although it’s not as different as I expected given some of the comments on here.

1 Like

It’s been a gradual change, Heaven is Earth is the natural stepping stone from Tire Me to Have You Considered… and they were even heavier when they were End of a Year is more what that’s about, but yeah Heaven is Earth (title track especially) is glorious, i was banging on about it a lot at the time to no avail :joy: