Self employed chat and support thread

Obviously this does nothing to help those excluded, but I am thankful nonetheless

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately. UC for self-employment is calculated based on any income between a set of dates, regardless of when work was completed and invoiced for.

That’s weird because my advisor literally said “there is no expectation to prove that you’re looking for work if your industry has simply shut down.”

1 Like

the “second and final” part induces a tiny bit of anxiety given that we’re still not looking at any concrete end to lockdown.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s just my advisor, i keep getting journal messages too!

i do worry how seriously they’re gonna take this ‘proving you’ve lost work’ thing

Are you talking about payment on account or something else?

Bit concerned because the HMRC site is still saying you can just defer it without notifiying them:

tbf if you don’t pay it i guess it aint gonna be any different to normal except they might not charge interest, but it’s pittance isn’t it? i’m waiting to hear about the second SE grant before paying mine at least. i read something saying they’d start contacting people from today but everyone else seems to think august. anyone heard owt?

1 Like

Apparently you can apply for the second SE grant from the 14th but not heard anything officially. Has anyone?

Saw it mentioned on Money Saving Expert but not through official channels

1 Like

It’s on the Gov website here, applications from the 17th:

1 Like

just got a call from my accountant to let me know that i have an enormous tax bill coming in january and to point out that ive had hardly fuck all income so far this year.

so that’s nice.

surely you can minimise yer payment on account then

yeah apparently he’s going to be able to reduce it somewhat, still waiting to see how much but still sounds bad. not paid july’s PTA yet :grimacing:

ruhroh

they told us not to!!

:cry: genuinely think there’ll be huge allowances made as jan looms. so many people gonna file bankruptcy in one massive hit

3 Likes

Considering consulting an insolvency practitioner in the next month or so as it happens, just to test the waters

Sounds like HMRC are giving people with outstanding tax bills the option to set up a payment plan over over 12 months but it incurs interest

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/self-employed-help-coronavirus/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=29-Sep-20-50640898-1726&utm_campaign=nt-hiya&utm_content=21#defertax

2 Likes

ah thanks for that. should hopefully be ok but things are still very much in flux so good to know it’s there!

2 Likes

We get a third grant apparently in November…? 40%. Wow, amazing.

1 Like