Self Esteem - I Do This All The Time: Era 2

Top ones encourage people to chant more and the second one is fair enough because labour are currently shite

On closer inspection, Yard act were doing a ‘bit’.

1 Like

Why (and where) was that?

Arctic Monkeys cover band as one of the supports for just a Sheffield date is fantastic stuff

11 Likes

I’ve been in a couple of bands with Nuha Ruby Ra and co-wrote one of her songs she plays in the set, get down and see her if you’re lucky enough to be going to any of the dates she’s on!

5 Likes

Yeah, she’s great. Echo that people should go and see her on one of those slots

2 Likes

Wrt the over-saturation thing, it’s not so much that she ‘should’ do this or that, but every time I see that she’s doing another tour I’m reminded of the album and realise I like it a little less. Beginning to feel a little bit like when I got really into Elbow around 2009 & later had much regret (link irrevocably made in my mind after she said she wants to be like them)

2 Likes

Saw her support Bambara last year, totally different to them but enjoyed it, especially the line that went something like ‘oh no, here comes another dick with a guitar!’, and her constant smile onstage.

1 Like

Oh My God Wow GIF

5 Likes

Not Caring Regal Cinemas GIF by Regal

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

1 Like

Tbf don’t think Slow Club ever had any ‘indie cred’ did they?

Speaking only for myself, had no idea of her history until PP. Thought she was american when i got into Compliments.

3 Likes

1 Like

‘Popular thing not actually any good,’ opines person on Internet.

2 Likes

do you still enjoy Compliments as normal (wow, loaded phrasing) then?

hmm … and you’re saying all that is just in your opinion are you? :wink:

1 Like

i posted a nice entirely-surface-level analysis of how much the tour would earn, take that back!

1 Like

it’s interesting you say this though, because I’m almost going the opposite way. So I still love her/both albums/don’t feel any over saturation etc - but I’m definitely not actively spinning PP very much, despite being fully into the spoken word stuff. It’s so of a particular mood and approach that I rarely want to dip in and out of it, it does what it aims for so well imoimoimo but i have to be in the right headspace for it and wanting to spend 40 mins in that musical world

whereas I could pull nearly any song from Compliments at any time and love it, it’s still very good as a whole album but just find it much easier to enjoy in bits and pieces without overthinking it

and The Best is still her, err, best song

1 Like

^^^

Just Kids is the only track on the new album that I prefer to any on Compliments Please, personally

My favourite song is Prioritise Pleasure. The chorus is mint.

7 Likes