Self-Nostalgia

I got a new (old) phone yesterday from a member of my family, which meant that I was able to download Garageband for the first time in nearly a decade; obviously I did because my urge to tinker with musical odds and ends is too strong not to. Turns out I had a couple of songs on there from just after our daughter was born/I became unemployed which I had completely forgotten about (they paint a picture of someone who is not mentally very well, but they’re quite interesting). A while ago I found my old iPod, which also contained a tonne of old phone recordings I’d made of songs that I had completely forgotten I’d written over a decade ago.

It’s really weird finding old things of yours that you didn’t know existed, and I quite like being able to pick over these little bits of myself like that from the past, particularly when it’s a surprise. There’s a load of stuff available out there of things I was involved with, videos and so on, but these little personal things are sort of better to me because it’s like having a time capsule of my personality at different stages of my life.

Do you ever indulge in self-nostalgia? Do you like looking back at random ephemera that you’ve made, and have you ever found something you actually really treasure as a result? Also, is there anything you wish you could find that is just gone forever? For example, I’ve got two EPs from my band at uni and an entire (probably totally unlistenable) album I made in third year that I will literally never be able to hear again, and it sort of pains me.

oh, i have the equivalent of mine, and being able to listen to them is possibly more painful than losing them :smiley:

1 Like

actually with the exception of this gem (3:23 for full Weezer style ripoff)

1 Like

I’m my own biggest fan

3 Likes

Yeah this is actually decent though! I’m pretty sure my uni band ones would be alright to listen to, but the other one was odd to start with - I’m more annoyed about it because I spent ages on it and now it’s just gone. I’ve got stuff from sixth form, but there’s about three years of stuff that’s just disappeared due to my shitty data management.

I honestly really like that song, it’s great!

i’ll be honest, i’d rather drown myself that let you hear the real uni band stuff. the very first of those was called Ezekiel and was nu-metal. For some reason i was playing a red jag into a MOSFET 8x10 stack (which i had to get in and out of the lift at uni :D) and i was absolutely not someone who should have been doing any of those things

2 Likes

Is there absolutely no one you might have sent it to? it’s the only reason i have mine

I have a fair bit of old scraps of poems and the first chapter or various novels. Usually think most of it has some charm but all feels quite inauthentic, like I was copying whatever I was into at the time.

1 Like

My mum might potentially have a CD of the uni stuff somewhere, but it’s absolutely a non-priority in terms of getting hold of it! In fairness, it’s not like I don’t have absolutely hours of me dicking around with music available to me to listen to if I so desire, it’s just the completeness factor.

1 Like

Yeah no one’s hearing a bunch of things I have buried in the MP3 folders :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

oh god this reminds me that I still have some shy mumbly teenage recordings on CD somewhere from when I was learning to write songs

1 Like

yes. there’s one song, by my friend and I, which i cannot get a recording of. he OD’d two years ago and it was at that exact moment i realised i didn’t have it on file. it still hurts to think about tbh.

2 Likes

Also remembered the last time I was at my parents my mum had found a cassette I’d made in my 16-year-old guitar playing phase. Just a few made up riffs and me covering some songs. It was bad of course, but it actually made me regret not doing more with it when I was naive and self-confident enough to record myself for posterity.

3 Likes

Just your reminder that a bunch of those old CDRs had a lifespan of 5 years. I had a bunch of recordings that I lost thanks to that. (I mean it’s sad but also hugely embarrassing to listen to so…)

1 Like

That’s part of it, it’s a marker of the people you know as well. Sorry for those losses, both of him and that connection to him.

1 Like

yeah I won’t be THAT upset if they’re gone

1 Like

I found a load of demos on an old hard-drive. Mostly prototypes of stuff I eventually made good enough to release. Quite nice hearing them in their embryonic form, before I knew how to work the software properly. Miss those happy accidents.

1 Like

There’s always something nice about having kind of a snapshot of where your mind was at a particular time in your life. It doesn’t take long for me to kind of detach myself from the music I’ve made, so I can kind of listen to it and like it as if it was just any other music (besides, someone has to enjoy it - may as well be me!) and it’s weird how much little snatches of memory come back so vividly.

1 Like

also I’ve got a little running joke (?) with myself that, on every album I’ve made, there’s at least one track or fragment on there that is way way older than everything else and comes from my old archive of bits and pieces

5 Likes

Alright, Thom Yorke

1 Like