Self-service checkouts PSA

i’ve noticed that if the change i’m due back from the one in my local co-op is anything less than 30p, the machine dispenses it all as a cascade of pennies, 2ps and 5ps. i decided to start using other places and of the ten super- and minimarkets, tesco expresses etc, within a 5 mile radius of my house, all of them do the same thing. i didn’t even want the sandwiches and dime bars i bought for the experiments so i had to bin them all.

it’s pretty obvious they dispense change in this manner so you’ll be like fuck that and leave it in the tray - i have seen other people’s change left behind many time.

Big Checkout is at it again.

Hate this expression, but not nearly as much as “shrapnel”.

1 Like

have amended

Really hate it when people come to pay in a shop or pub and have loads of small change and are all like ‘oh look at all this change, looks like I was in the pub last night, wa hey!’ or some such. I don’t care, just fucking pay me.

2 Likes

Man, you didn’t need to do that. Now I’ll feel like if moan about every tiny inconsequential thing that irks me, it might get changed!

1 Like

Fuck you, pay me, give me your dough.

Wow have not that about that for years.

For your listening pleasure:

2 Likes

i like to accommodate and engage positively with feedback, it’s how we grow imo

1 Like

have amended

1 Like

I used to write software that takes money and gives change for checkouts. It is harder, well a lot more fiddly than you would think.

If (change < 30)
shrapnel.dispense();

Is obviously part of the codebase.

2 Likes

Fucking hell there’s a band I’ve had no need to think about for a long time.

Pretty sure I’m going to listen to the album at lunchtime.

1 Like

outrageous, i assume this is worth billions in unclaimed change if everywhere is at it

1 Like

Trillions.

1 Like

It’s because they don’t dispense 10p coins. So you’ll get a 20p and a load of 2p coins

Dunno I was in Co-op yesterday and the previous occupant of the self-service till had left all their change there and it was quite a bit. There was definitely a quid and assorted silver in there. I just left it, didn’t know what to do with it.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of people i see in metro stores and supermarkets who get to the front of a queue and then decide to check their banking app to see how much money’s left in their account.

1 Like

Chaz box

Not my money to give.

That’s what I do and I don’t give a fuck!

Yeah I think it was a group of schoolkids who were at the till before me so… was thinking they might run back in and get it. Either that or someone else can trouser it and they will have learnt a very valuable life lesson.