Selling Stuff Online (Rolling)

If I’m being totally honest, I do kinda enjoy replying to low-ball offers with “tell im he’s dreamin”

ftfyp

1 Like

They have Kerbside Collection here. Each suburb gets a week every year where people dump stuff in front of their homes, and others can go through it.

There’s a schedule and everything.

There are some genuinely good things chucked out, and there seems to be no snobbery about looking through someone else’s stuff. It’s not the most efficient system, but it seems to work pretty well here.

There’s no moment more satisfying than finding an Australian who hasn’t seen The Castle (great film) and doesn’t get this reference.

A rare moment, but one to be savoured.

1 Like

This might actually be sociopathic behaviour.

1 Like

I really can’t be doing with it

I’ve sold a load of bike related stuff - and tend to offer to friends first, then put it up on a cycling forum where the people generally are reliable and can be trusted not to pull a fast one

An ex of mine used to love ebaying - which was great. I’d just chuck whatever it was to her and she’d deal with it all.

Had a load of furniture and stuff to get rid of recently. I probably could have made a reasonable amount of money selling it but could not be doing with the hassle - I just arranged for BHF to come round with their truck and take it all away.

To entertain myself while taking photos of the things we sell I put a fake snake in the background of the photos (Used to use it as a security device by putting it in the back seat of our old car which didn’t lock).

What was a funny idea at the time now means I spend a lot of time responding to people ‘warning’ me about the snake.

21 Likes

Amazed this wasn’t meant to be/hasn’t turned into an astroturfing thread for Shpock (which I’m guessing is an improvement on eBay in every way except for everyone actually using eBay instead).

Had this really sad exchange with a guy who was clearly in a bit of a rough patch but wanted to buy some CDs off me:

Well, truth be told i’ve got just a tenner left in my paypal account (and outside of paypal i’m living pretty much hand to mouth with a knackered car and 3 small kids on top) so that gives you a picture of where i’m at and how much i should be looking at cds…
So anyway, the cd’s i had my eye on were Bill callahan- dream river, Sufjan- seven swans and the Taken by trees album.
Yeah. It’s not ideal i can see that now that i’ve written it down :s

i actually offered to just burn him copies of the CDs but he declined

I used the rival to eBay for a while. QXL or something? The problem is, anything would have to gain so much traction, I can’t see it happening. Even if it was amazing, cheaper etc. etc.

My kids exclusively use Depop and have 0 interest in eBay - so could be a sign that their dominance will recede in the future

I suppose they will just buy Depop if they haven’t already though

think ebay gives you an allowance of about 4000 a year as personal account. any more than that and you have to get a business account.

1 Like

listed a typewriter as free to collect

• hi, i’m interested
  • great, can you collect tomorrow?
  • too far away, sorry

ffs

1 Like

most annoying song of all time though to be fair

actually that’s total bollocks, just checked and i can sell up to 5300 a month

dunno soz!

1 Like

Legally up to £1k a year before you’re supposed to declare it to HMRC.

1 Like

Yes - if you don’t have a registered business your “expenses” don’t matter, only the income.

1 Like

Classic Jhun

Posted to a Facebook group with no mention of a sofa to be seen.

sold a record through discogs, posted to the US

‘the record hasn’t arrived yet, it’s been 7 days’
‘err dude internaitonal postage sometimes takes a while, 7-10 days minimum’
‘what’s the tracking number’
‘you didn’t pay for tracked postage’
‘it’s been 10 days it still hasn’t arrived and i have no tracking number!’
‘welp, not much i can do. you’ll just have to wait til it gets there’
‘i’m going to complain’
‘erm, to whom?’

&c

^ this dingus has lodged a paypal dispute and accused me of scamming them :rage:

You got proof of postage receipt? If you ain’t you could be in trouble