September 2018 Politics Thread

Why?

What, why?

Because I see no firm evidence to the contrary, and make an assumption that a group representative of Jewish communities would have combating anti-semitism as a galvanising aim.

Because if “they do calibrate their statements to the effect of having a strategic impetus against Corbyn” then surely Corbyn needs to be part of the solution if this is, as you say, crucial. Whilst this is only in reaction to one tweet and a few words within that one tweet, I still get concerned with analysis which simply criticises the way that a Jewish Group have reacted to events without a callback to Corbyn himself. Although I’m also getting concerned that I’ve dragged us away from your initial point which was about being able to trust good faith intentions of certain groups, so this may be becoming a dead end.

1 Like

new theory: i did some more reading around, and apparently the last use of novichok in a hit was in the 90s on a russian businessman. skripal was an extremely dodgy character. mafia hit? we will recall that intelligence agencies often use organized crime assets. Mi5 and cia are no different here. skripal about to disclose something he knew to his UK handlers, the mafya get the ok to snuff him? Or perhaps they act independently but the kremlin post facto okays it, since the obvious incompetence of the UK police and MI5 during all of this can be spun as the russian state possessing ruthless efficiency.

but he was in moscow 2 days prior. Why not then? And why novichok? I suppose if we consider it the aforesaid lame af symbolic job this offers an explanation.

Tho we still don’t come out of this looking very good tbh. A narrative of russia as the uber evil helps spare us embarrassment, the perfidious slav outwitted our good hearted anglo lads, etc. I guess the obvious propaganda benefits work to everyone’s advantage here.

will we?

getting some mobster dipshit to kill someone instead of giving the job to someone in house is like the first option every time, unless you’re hitting someone huge like bin laden.

any examples?

Well the cia used the mafia to kill suspected german spies on the NYC waterfront during ww2, then worked with the sicilian lads to suppress left wing agitation in post-fascist italy during the late 40s. They also seriously considered sending some of trafficantes boys to cuba to kill fidel in the 60s. Mi5 drew worked with criminals they had dirt on during the miners strike to intimidate and harrass union leaders. They also used smugglers to move guns out of libya post-2011. And of course the kremlin and the russian mob are so closely entwined it’s laughable (dont think we have as big a problem believing that tho, weird).

None of this is unusual. It makes complete sense to use people who are hard, discreet, and one step removed from your agency. It’s actually a very interesting history.

Oh oh and was it the krays or the other lot in the 60s who someone tried to get to bug wilson or honey trap him or something? Can’t remember off the top of my head.

Is that new editor in charge yet? The remain supporting one?

The general media narrative has been slowly showing more negative brexit stories recently.

this is so good

Mr Petrov said friends had recommended Salisbury to them because “there’s the famous Salisbury cathedral, famous for its 123-metre spire”.

“Of course we went there to see Stonehenge, Old Sarum, but we couldn’t do it because there was muddy slush everywhere,” Mr Petrov told RT.

3 Likes

They’ll never doubt us if we remember a very specific fact.

7 Likes

“The cathedral also has the largest cloister and the largest cathedral close in Britain at 80 acres. It contains a clock which is among the oldest working clocks in the world, and has the best surviving of the four original copies of Magna Carta. In 2008, the cathedral celebrated the 750th anniversary of its consecration.”

“The cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Salisbury and is the seat of the Bishop of Salisbury, currently Nick Holtam,” added Petrov.

4 Likes

more and more embarrassing the more they banter us off tbh

Pretty impressive to cram visits to the cathedral and Old Sarum in, given that they were in Salisbury for a grand total of about 2 hours.

1 Like

this little girl is a hero

6 Likes

I’ve probably made this point on here before, but anthems are the most bizarre aspect of nationalism/patriotism. “This girl isn’t showing enough respect to the Australia song!”

6 Likes

Tories: This is a Christian country!
Also Tories when a member of the clergy has a go at them: Lol, stay in your lane fucker

2 Likes

None of them are actual Christians though. I’m pretty sure looking after the poor and needed is a big part of Christianity and they certainly don’t do that.

2 Likes

wasn’t this actually a scam she had going?

Good thing Ianuchi’s switched to satirising the past now… Writing another series of Veep or the Thick of it is basically impossible.

3 Likes