September 2019 Film Thread

Don’t know whether or not you can stomach WTF or not but his episode is really good IMO

3 Likes

can second it’s a rlly good interview as someone who doesn’t mind WTF / Marc Maron generally but fucking hell the first twenty minutes or so of any given episode what teh

2 Likes

never thought i’d see oneohtrix and adam sandler in the same photo

oh also the Adam Buxton podcast with PTA is a good shout too

in which iirc he reveals that the name Woodcock in Phantom Thread was chosen bc Daniel Day Lewis thought it was funny

oh and how he talks about Ace Ventura 2

2 Likes

Never thought I’d say this a week or two ago but I’ll probably see Hustlers this weekend, the reviews are really good.

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly this sort of thing.

It’s really funny how his films shape people’s perceptions of him as an ultra-serious, pretentious “artist”

1 Like

Yeah, this. Mainly as there’s very little else brewing (presumably because nobody wanted to be released the same weekend as Downtown)

Aye, I’m seeing it on Sunday and am very much looking forward to it (and not just because J-Lo turns me into a bit of a perve)

Probably! Might see Honeyland on Sunday, glossy studio film and documentary on beekeeper in Macedonia should make for a fun contrast

Him and Maya Rudolph seem like a really sweet couple

Also a few months back a horror magazine had a good article where him and Jordan Peele discuss stuff

1 Like

What is going on with the orange man in the scarf here??

you know, Boogie Nights is the only PTA film (other than Junun, I guess) that I haven’t seen

I should stop complaining about all the films that Guardian list missed out but…no City of God?!

Proper fancy watching a film tonight lads

Absolutely you are!
Midsommar was even better second time round and it was 5/5 first time for me. Either because of the different edit, maybe because I knew what the outcome was or probably a combination of both.

Then the music swells, the two volunteer sacrifices start screaming in agony, the Hårga start wailing, the temple burns and eventually collapses, the music swells even more… and then she FUCKING SMILES! Credits. Amazing.
All of it so compelling and heartfelt because of the incredible close-up on Florence Pugh’s flower-enshrouded face.

I can’t wait to see it again and I only saw it on Sunday

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1172599072269709315

Names

5 Likes

Also, just want to shout out the excellence of the poster

Perfect

This is wicked too…

3 Likes

I really liked Phantom Thread but agree about The Master, brilliantly made and acted but apart from that one scene where the guy calls them out as a cult its a bit dull. I still think PTAs best film is Magnolia to be honest. I did like There Will Be Blood but have never felt compelled to re-watch it and would definitely rate In the Mood for Love, Toni Erdmann, A Prophet, Under the Skin and Moonlight above it (that would probably be my top 5).

Watched Cell.

It has awful reviews. I really enjoyed it

1 Like

Went to see TWBB with the live orchestral accompaniment

Omigosh, feel like no future viewing of it will ever top that

1 Like