September 2019 politics thread - fuck knows

Is anyone else watching the Supreme Court feed today? Fully expect the Government to win.

It’s a three day hearing. I reckon I’d lose the will to live about 45 minutes in.

2 Likes

And I do incredibly boring hearings on a niche area of law for a living.

1 Like

If you’d turn to page 43,652 in your bundle snore

3 Likes

I assume you’ve got both images at the ready though?

1 Like

Might just pick one from my downloads folder at random tbh.

1 Like

Swinson just has Borgen on repeat and is convinced she can wrangle PM like Nyborg did?

1 Like

Little slugs.

Every time I see that name I think : No way she isn’t on the Todd bonzalez roster.

6 Likes

It’s also a dual-case thingy- Gina’s appeal (from the High Court in England’s decision) is being heard this morning, and the government’s appeal (from the court of session decision) is being heard this afternoon.

Anyway, Lady Hale’s opening comments suggest (to me, at least) that the government will win this on the principle of separation of powers.

chuka has to be one of the most insincere men in UK politics

also weird: the guardian and independent describe him, berger et al as “leaving labour earlier this year and joining the lib dems”, with no mention of cuktig. i guess these papers just decided to pretend it never happened? but it was their baby!

2 Likes

Somebody get her the memory stick

Oh God they’ve got their bundles mixed up!

2 Likes

Fuck, I can’t watch this, this is like watching work to avoid doing work

3 Likes

And No-deal happened because some twat got the page numbers wrong.

Watched his interview with Keunssberg last night and when she questioned him on how he proposed to leave without a deal when there is a law which forbids it, he simply refused to answer the question and just kept repeating “we will be leaving on the 31st October with or without a deal”. She asked him if he was planning on breaking the law and he said “those are your words”. She asked him if he was planning to try and ‘get round’ the law in some way and he said “those are your words”.

So he breaks the law, the UK leaves the EU

He could be prosecuted (if anyone dared) but the UK can’t be reinstated

Job done

He really holds all the power. It’s quite terrifying

1 Like

I think it’s more representative of the fact you can use the banner of your party to get elected somewhere without necessarily believing in any of its values… and the chasm that exists between parliamentary politics and the constituencies supposedly represented therein. As already mentioned none of these people are going to be standing in these constituencies next time, because they know they’d get fucking buried.

2 Likes

All true. Which makes a mockery of the assertion that one of the reasons that people sometimes trot out in defense of fptp/winner takes all polling, namely that it protects the sanctity of local constituency representation

3 Likes

Might have to stop streaming the Supreme Court hearing so far it’s like the most badly organized reading group I’ve ever witnessed.

2 Likes