September Politics and Fucking Things Up Thread

Ah fair enough

Freudian autocorrect

1 Like

They all got nicely paid for a few years though, didn’t they

Yeah though I’m thinking of various work colleagues of mine who were just as bad from 2015-2019 and I have no idea what their excuse was

I mean I understand the ‘let’s all sneer at the FBPE lot’ sentiment, because they were embarrassing af, but at the same time, stuff like this:

"I don’t know how the specifics of this per se would have gone, but leftists and liberals could have coalesced around campaigning for freedom of movement, found new ways to build solidarity around this. But the flagfuckers wouldn’t have it. "

is just palpably ludicrous, given that ending free movement is what powered about 95% of the leave vote in the first place

2 Likes

Is there a separate US politics thread or is it all in here? Only because Popbitch (yes, bastion of truthful journalism) is reporting a slew of bets on a Trump victory in recent weeks. It would certainly sum up 2020 perfectly if he wins again.

1 Like

By ‘flagfuckers’ they mean those who put the EU flag in their bios, i.e. FPBE types who rejected the Labour leadership’s compromise positions, demanded a second referendum, and then rejected that when Labour offered it.

Yeah I know what ‘flagfuckers’ means.

My point was that suggesting that if it wasn’t for the FBPE we’d now be looking at a soft Brexit that included free movement is just as delusional

11 Likes

Tbf Ive heard flagshaggers being used to describe gammon types with the union jack on their profiles

Politics has gotten so bleak

7 Likes

Thank you!

There were the numbers there in parliament to carry that option via the indicative votes, but CHUKTIG voted against it.
There could have been the numbers there after GE2019, too, but those allied with the likes of People’s Vote both in parliament and outside it did all they could to ensure a Conservative victory at the general election and forced Labour into a position that ensured that happened.

No one’s saying that freedom of movement would definitely have been retained, but their positions ensured that any possibility of it was stamped out.

1 Like

“second family???”

I’m happy that I’ve landed in a job where I count some colleagues as close friends after a few years, but ‘second family’?

Fuck that right into the ground.

9 Likes

The guy on Twitter quoted above is strongly insinuating it would have, which again is my point. Anyone suggesting that in a scenario where Brexit happens, free movement of people would be retained, is either delusional or being disingenuous.

I mean, I am in complete agreement that it’s the remainers who fucked it. But at the same time, suggesting that if there hadn’t been a campaign for a second vote we’d all be in some Brexit utopia now is just utterly ludicrous revisionism

I don’t think the quote is insinuating that at all, personally.

You think that he’s suggesting that “leftists and liberals could have coalesced around campaigning for freedom of movement” in the full knowledge that retaining freedom of movement wouldn’t happen?

No. Campaigning for something isn’t implementing it. Especially when you’re not the party of government.

I don’t follow how you’ve taken that as ‘strongly insinuating’ that freedom of movement would have been retained.

It offers you a platform and a solid base around which you can start to build arguments. The Labour leadership never got that solid base because they were constantly being barracked even when they tried to compromise, and even when they gave in to all of PV’s initial demands.

Because in the context of his tirade on Twitter, he is suggesting that it’s the FBPE who have ruined everything by campaigning for a second vote. In the example he gives, he’s suggesting that there should have been campaigning for the retention of freedom of movement instead. What would be the point of suggesting this if he didn’t think there was at least the possibility that campaigning for something may ultimately lead to its implementation? Retaining freedom of movement in a Brexit scenario in this country would never have happened, ‘solid base’ or otherwise.

1 Like

is a bit different to claiming that he thought it was inevitable.

4 Likes

Getting a bit silly now. First, I didn’t say this and second the overriding point is exactly the same