September Politics and Fucking Things Up Thread

It was St Helena not Ascension I was thinking of, right part of the world.

There is a golf club, at least.

ToRy ReBelS

6 Likes

the entire thing is clearly just them planning ahead for the criticism they’ll get when the arse falls out of the economy and shit loads of people are destitute

Fucking hell - loads of awful stories about the government’s plans/considered plans for asylum seekers in Playbook today in the wake of the Ascension Island leak including:

• processing asylum seekers on old Italian ferries moored off the coast (one of the “more likely” proposals)
  • considered doing so on decommissioned North Sea oil rigs (although this was dismissed)
  • Downing Street has apparently asked them to look into sending asylum seekers to “Moldova, Morocco or Papua New Guinea”
  • generating waves to turn back boats (also dismissed, but they’re considering chaining together a load of small boats to keep boats away from the shore)
  • taking advice from Tony Abbott on Australia’s offshoring policies to guide their strategy (which in Nauru led to a number of attempted suicides - they charged a man with arson for setting himself on fire, which then spread to his room)

40% of the public supports the Ascension Island thing, only 35% against :no_mouth:

The most psychopathic thing about loads of right wing people is how obsessed they are with animals/animal rights only to have the most vile opinions about other humans and treat them like less than nothing. It makes me sicker than pretty much anything else.

10 Likes

Mad how the argument for turning away asylum seekers is often couched in “we dont have enough money to take all these people on” language but the most popular “solutions” are the bonkers, multi-billion-pounds wastes of everyone’s time and money :thinking:

11 Likes

Wait, this Ascension Island stuff, and all of that you’ve listed, is actually an actual leaked actual plan. Rather than tabloidy bullshit speculation/parroting/amplification of some crank chat?

Fffffffuuuuuuu…

1 Like

Do you know why or does the article explain why it’s these 3 countries in particular? Seems like an eclectic mix and on the face of it i cant work out any obvious link to the UK or to each other, but that’s probably because I know very little on the matter

Thanks for the very illuminating post. Absolutely sickening stuff.

I assume PNG because that’s what the Strayans do. I think the other two are just darts at a map though.

3 Likes

not exactly lacking in bleak things this year but wow that is B L E A K

I believe the original scoop came from well known tabloid, the financial times

1 Like

yeah its some shite ‘blue sky thinking’ no bad idea crap. where they list all the clearly ridiculous stuff, so that the chosen options - which are still fucking ridiculous, dont seem quite so off the wall.

All ‘leaked’ so the papers can splash it on the front covers, whilst they sneak through votes on us breaking international law etc.

3 Likes

Moldova is the poorest country in Europe (and fastest declining population of any country by at least some metric) so might just be that they assume they’d rip your hand off for a bit of cash. Especially as 1/8th of their GDP was smuggled out of the country a few years back (almost certainly some of it through the UK).

Not sure why Morocco though.

Can strongly recommend signing up to Politico’s Playbook daily email digest, it’s brilliant and pretty even handed.

2 Likes

The arson thing was last year. I remember ages ago reading about how detainees (including children) had made suicide pacts because the conditions were so fucking inhumane

It is an absolute disgrace that this country seeks to emulate that and is taking advice from Tony fucking Abbott on it. I will cancel my Labour membership if Keir gives any kind of support or defence of it

3 Likes

Assume Morocco because it’s already being used as a giant prison cell/processing centre for people attempting to flee Africa. As with Turkey they’re juicing a number of European countries to do an out of sight out of mind job, then using the threat of opening the doors to secure generous trade terms.

1 Like

EU Commission making an official statement that the new Brexit laws completely violate the withdrawal agreement and northern irish protocol and they’ve given us 1 month to sort it out :confused:

:+1: Yup. Clear straw man stuff. And because the papers/BBC treat it as if it’s really worthy of consideration, the next diversion can be even more horrific.

@moderators lock thread pls

1 Like

October thread