Serious accusations against Mark Morriss (Bluetones) CW: Coercion, abusive behaviour.

You mean “credibly accused of abusive behaviour”?

19 Likes

Fuck, that’s a grim read :frowning:

Can we change the thread title, stick a CW on it, etc?

1 Like

Yeah @moderators could the title be changed? Grossly insensitive atm.

1 Like

I just did it there, let me know if I need to adjust it in any way.

1 Like

I think we had the same thought but your edit is better than mine I think.

That sounds fucking awful for the women concerned, and their children :frowning: horrendous.

as for Mark Morriss

Like a lot of DiSers (I’d imagine), the Bluetones were one of my formative bands and were my first gig. I internalised the lyrics to that first album and I can’t help but think how horrid and misogynistic they sound now - Cut Some Rug especially. Ugh, I know that the fans aren’t the victims in this (with the obvious exception of those mentioned in the article) but that’s really unsettling.

3 Likes

Also discussed here

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/serious-misconduct-and-allegations-thread-ssp/57209/317?u=ma0sm

1 Like

Rather than saying unforeseen circumstances, they should link to the statement made by Anna Wharton

22 Likes

“…all this coming to light is a great relief”

Morriss told the Guardian that the last 18 months “undoubtedly had an adverse effect” on his mental health and decision-making. “But the last thing I wanted to do was hurt people who have been kind to me during this difficulty.”

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

(This guy has had a way longer career than a Britpop also-ran ever deserved)

5 Likes

how can he do all this and not feel any guilt for the people whose lives he’s damaged? sounds like this must have been going on for years/decades too

Have to remember in situations such as these not to be surprised that a sociopath has read that and gone…‘yep, this’ll make everything better’ ~pats themself on gross back~

Morriss told the Guardian that the last 18 months “undoubtedly had an adverse effect” on his mental health and decision-making. “But the last thing I wanted to do was hurt people who have been kind to me during this difficulty.”

Is he trying to blame the pandemic for his most recent abuses here? Fucking hell.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s like, we’ve all had a shit time over lockdown, it’s done a number on everyone’s mental health, but most of us got through it without being a gaslighting dickhead and wrecking the lives of several families.

11 Likes

Fuck. What a vile man. Bluetones were a massive band for me in my formative years, and I’ve followed them throughout their career. But I’ll be damned if I can carry on knowing what a complete shit this guy is. So sorry for all his victims.

Someone said in response they thought it might be motivated by not wanting to leave themselves open for any sort of legal action. Their follow up Tweet is pretty explicit though

4 Likes

Yeah - the pile-on to them is deeply weird I think.

2 Likes

I dunno, people are angry. It’s very weird phrasing even if it’s coming out of that reasoning. I’m trusting the promoter because they seem to be good people for sure.

For context I note the follow up was six or so hours later so I’d guess a lot of people who responded grumpily were doing so before that.

Why do newspapers always let abusers get away with such weak statements denying their guilt? She’s written a very detailed account of what happened, and I’d expect the guardian to at least ask for his response on every single important point, and then note all the places he refused to comment.

6 Likes