Share fun/interesting/shocking history facts

most people have 16 great-great-grandparents. Charles II of Spain (see below) only had 2. this inbreeding caused a few issues - his autopsy said “he did not contain a single drop of blood; his heart was the size of a peppercorn; his lungs corroded; his intestines rotten and gangrenous; he had a single testicle, black as coal, and his head was full of water.” managed to live to the age of 38, which is kind of a medical miracle.

Edward IV of England is rumoured to have had his brother drowned in a barrel of wine

Jewish people were expelled from England in 1290 and only allowed back under Ollie Cromwell in 1657 - meaning the law lasted for longer than the length of time that has passed since it was repealed. (this is pretty jaw-dropping to me)

Anne of Cleves was famously divorced by Henry VIII (well, annulled technically as they never banged), but less famously after the annulment they became pals and she was referred to as ‘the king’s sister’. how is this still more normal than what the Habsburgs were getting up to???

sorry, all my history knowledge is concentrated in this one area pretty much but this is why #historyweek is good as I’ve learned some new things. teach me your fun historical facts! fuck the haters!!

5 Likes

12 Likes

4 grandparents
12 great grandparents
36 great grandparents

please tell me he had 2 great grandparents, not 2 great great grandparents. is either even possible? my head is melting.

Yes if his parents and grand parents were brother and sister.

Am I being really thick here? 4 grandparents means 8 great grandparents doesn’t it?

Here’s the family tree

??

That is not a tree at all. That is a box.

In seven generations there were only five people who were not directly related to the root couple.

1 Like

Blimey there are three marriages of uncles to their nieces in there :nauseated_face:.

4 grandparents
12 ??
36 winter II

4 Likes

Look mate we’ve heard it before, get yourself into work.

10 Likes

The wording’s weird but I reckon if you’re just mates and want a reason to stay there rent free you’ll be all ‘aw come on we’re like family’
Wonder if they ever got drunk and made jokes about chopping her head off

3 Likes

same as jack and meg white innit

4 Likes

Vividly remember the day in History lesson at school when I decided to wheel this nugget out for the enrichment of all our collective knowledge and the teacher is like “hmmm, well actually I’ve never heard that so I reckon it’s wrong. You are wrong. Look, class, this boy is wrong”.

My heirs will avenge me.

2 Likes

Big fan of Ferdinand VII.

Proper lad. Proper haircut.

3 Likes

A Ferd in the Nand is worth two in the something, I’ve lost interest in this gag already

5 Likes
5 Likes

There’s nothing quite so heartening as seeing brute force failing in such a spectacular manner. The fact that the victors were emus makes it even better, because emus are hilarious anyway.

3 Likes

Historically, Edinburgh was once further west than Bristol, and in fact it remains so to this day.

7 Likes