Sharp objects (a show on HBO)

this seems very very good.

amy adams is a journalist who goes back to her home town in the south to investigate the disappearance of teenage girls. it’s one of those ‘protagonist tries to solve a mystery and the audience tries to solve the protagonist’ stories. ghosts of the past and that. the direction is dream like.

it’s awfully bleak and includes a lot of self harm & unpleasant stuff.

you watching it? is the book worth reading? is the creators’ previous thing Big Little Lies this good?

Started this last week, it’s very good. She is fantastic in it, great feel of bleak small town America isn’t there?

Big little lies is really, really good. Excellent cast, fantastic scenery, incredible houses and very watchable. If you’ve ever done school runs or know the types of Moms you encounter it is doubly good.

How graphic/explicit is the self harm stuff?

very, if you were thinking of not watching for that reason then don’t imo.

Thanks!

Amy Adams is as amazing as ever in this. Bloody depressing show so far though.

yeah, the claustrophobia of the town is so well done, and especially the relationship with her mum, hard to watch them interact.

will have to download big little lies then, ta.

Caught up with this over the weekend.

The oppressive hum of the fans and that closing in is so well done, don’t think I have watched something this good in terms of that suspense, suffocation and difficult to watch nature for ages.

Great to see load of female leads…the mother is excellent.

I really enjoyed the book an have just watched the first ep of this so far. It feels a lot more subdued and almost flat (in an interesting, deliberate way though) whereas the book felt spikier. A change of direction like that is good for an adaptation though so I’m looking forward to seeing where they take it from here.

just caught up meself now.

been so good, not sure ive ever felt as much hatred towards a fictional character as i do adora. with all the viscerally unpleasant things in the series, that little scene on the veranda where she quite tenderly said she never loved camille was the most gutting to watch.

binge watched big little lies as well, that’s brilliant too. love reese witherspoon. can tell there’s some of the same people involved - the dream sequencey\flashback stuff is just as good. was so happy when the victim was revealed, fuck that person.

Becoming a bit obsessed with this show, just read the Vulture recaps and this, which really captures the level of detail in the show.

big little lies is good
I will watch and enjoy this

This and Better Call Saul are the best shows on tv right now.
Amy Adams is so good.
Can’t wait for finale.

argh fucking hell that was hard to watch. taken quite a lot out of me.

Well that was grim

Well that was great, wondered where the last 10 minutes were going but didn’t see that coming. Did everybody watch to the end of the trailers?

Yep, then had to read the recaps to get full idea. Seconds of flashbacks bit odd when they are the big reveal…blink and you miss it.

Amazing series though, Adora was perfect…that tinkling tray and her massive heels, such an ominous image.

Watched the last episode last night

SHITTING HELL

Good show, kind of want to watch it again to pick up on things I missed but I probably won’t

Yep I felt the same. Read all the vulture articles instead.