Shit your parents played that has stuck

Alanis Morissette was drilled into my head hard by mother. Not upset though , that album is great.

I’m interested in how your music has stuck with them if at all?

My dad really influenced me loving music, not necessarily the specific bands he was into though, but I noticed he liked to listen to my recommendations as I got a bit older. But he died whwn I was 19 so never got to go to gigs together or really play him the stuff I loved.

Do any of you go to gigs with your parents? Or have they stuck on their own music.

Think it was 1s actually

My parents had 2 or 3 ‘car tapes’ one of which was a Best of the Beatles but not the Red or Blue albums just some really weird random compilation. So I grew up with a really weird notion of what I considered to be the accepted ‘best of the beatles’

Used to go to gigs with my mum when I was 13/14 just before I could start going on my own, mainly cause it was so far away to get anywhere. Saw Weller (supported by Noel Gallagher), Manics (support was meant to be Catatonia but Cerys was ill), Elvis Costello, and the Lighthouse Family. I got her into some of the better end of mid 90s ‘britpop’, Manics, Blur, Pulp and that, but now she likes George Ezra, Enrique and Sheeran so there’s no helping some people. She fucking loves Michael Ball too.

3 Likes

Massive tune

Is that not McCartney’s brother?

Mrs mb loves a bit of Alanis. Theres definitely worse things to be rammed in yer lugs

1 Like

Reckon if you picked any Meat Loaf song at random, I’d know a fair chunk of the lyrics.

Solely from childhood rides in my dad’s car that.

1 Like

Holst the planet suite was also a great one from my youth. Along with, vaguely thematically, the old war of the worlds musical soundtrack

2 Likes

My mum and dad had nothing to do with the music i eventually liked. They’re taste is awful.

My dad had 1 tape which was sometimes played in the car and it was a mix of rock and roll. I really liked it and still have a fondness for rock and roll. They never listened to music in the house except classical radio if they wanted a break from radio 4.
My kids are 7 and 6 and they pretty much hate my music. The eldest loves “Now” compilations :rofl:

Dad could easily have been a DiS-er, loves Radiohead, Goat, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Sabbath, lots of classic rock stuff like ZZ Top. Overnite Sensation by Frank Zappa and the Mothers will always be the album that reminds me of him though, he used to play it pretty much weekly on a Saturday night as loud as he reasonably could.

1 Like

Mum: ABBA, Beatles
Dad: Meatloaf

Jesus dad. Tbf I don’t listen to Meatloaf anymore but it has a place in my brain

We all did.

2 Likes

My love of Dire Straits comes from people mum and I shared houses with when I was about 4 or 5.

But my mum’s tastes as I hot older were into weird new world stuff and things that I never really got into. But the time I was 10 she was already bored of all the 60s/70s guitar rock I would get into

Mother: Classical, Opera, International folk music
Father: Bluegrass, old Country (like, early 20th c), International folk music

1 Like

My dad got super into Radiohead after I bought OK Computer and we all (mum, dad, me, school friend) went to see them play - just checked the dates and think that was back in 2000. He taxied us to lots of gigs in my early teens and usually grabbed himself a ticket as well to save waiting in the car for hours. But he hung out at the back rather than sweating it out up the front.

They go to a lot of live music locally these days - a friend of theirs is a great guitarist and they have other friends who sing in bands, so it seems like every second weekend they’re at some pub or another watching someone. They came to their first festival this year and had an even better time than we did.

But the band they’ve seen more than any others in recent years is The Killers and I’ve no idea where that obsession came from.

1 Like

Basically anything my dad played. Heres a song about cocaine I loved as an 8 year old

My dad had two cassettes in his car - Wham! The Final and Divine Madness, so can work out that I’d heard each approx 52 times a year c1996/7.

While I can appreciate Madness while rarely listening to them nowadays, I bloody love George Michael.

2 Likes

Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits is a pretty awesome grounding for a love of music in my book