Should users be able to edit/delete their own posts?

I was half joking about my balls but there’s loads of stuff with personal details or what have you that I could end up posting here, be it an image or copy and pasting something that I thought was a link.

I appreciate what the mods do but the fact is that they can’t always be here and it could be hours until someone is able to remove it.

Not that it’s going to add anything to the the discussion, but I’m not really fussed with whatever settings are chosen tbh

7 Likes

They’re not always around to do it quickly though, neither is it fair to expect them to be.

1 Like

Also, the original question this stemmed from was about changing usernames not deleting posts.

absolutely. don’t think its for anyone else to necessarily decide what content of yours stays up or not, and the lack a feature enabling me to edit or delete posts has put me off posting in certain threads. always found it a bit weird that it’s not enabled here as its a thing on pretty much every single other platform similar to dis.

9 Likes

on a practical level, there was a ridiculous situation a year or so ago where I had to get all my selfies individually deleted by flagging them for a moderator to then go and delete them. just remember being halfway through that and thinking ‘this is really fucking silly’.

1 Like

also, I don’t think there’s anyone on the boards edgelordy enough to go and edit their posts in order to cause trouble by changing, for example, the meaning and context behind other replies.

4 Likes

i agree with profk

19 Likes

Trouble? No. Hilarity? Yes!

2 Likes

In the bad ol’ days this sort of thing would happen a lot.

Also more likely to happen from new users - there are also A LOT of dormant accounts and alt accounts some users have… I would love to think we could all trust everyone not to abuse the system.

1 Like

spose a trial run wouldn’t hurt to see if that’s the case, right? maybe the ability to edit or delete your own posts could be rolled out to users with say, over 100 replies?

Even if a mod has edited a post and the edits can’t be viewed, it still shows that the post has been edited. So it wouldn’t really work as a way to cause trouble.

3 Likes

i actually dislike that feature too, the post history thing lol.

1 Like

I think if we were going to let people edit they’d need the option to hide the original post, otherwise their accidental ball pics would still be visible to anyone who looked at the edit and then what’s the point?

2 Likes

About time we had a rolling ball thread imho.

7 Likes

How long is long enough though? Usually the most controversial times to edit the meaning of a post that lots of people have replied to is within a few hours when thread is most active.

yeah, would be horrified if I accidentally uploaded one of my many nude NFTs one day.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that functionality is possible.

Let me pop the heating on first.

4 Likes

Think they should be, except for accidental ball pics, which shouldn’t. As Tim Berners-Lee said, they’re for everyone