SHREK

Now 20 years old, and the Guardian has apparently upset the entire internet with this blinding hot take:

It’s place in the pantheon of millennial memes is assured forever, but is it actually any good?

Having seen it quite a lot recently thanks to my four-year-old, I can confidently say: it’s okay.

5 Likes

It set the template for animated movies that rely on multiple supporting characters being zany and/or dancing along to kitsch pop hits in lieu of being actually funny.

Like Shrek as a character, like the main story itself, the humour is rubbish.

HGIIR: Shrek 2/5

4 Likes

Shrek 2 had a bangin’ tie in video game for the PS2. That’s my favourite Shrek memory

2 Likes

Hated at the time, hate it now never understood why it did so well.

1 Like

100% with the Guardian on this one.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/nthnashma/status/1394565677369921536?s=19

5 Likes

It’s great

3 Likes

well it’s taken them a good decade but they finally figured out how to do clickbait i guess

2 Likes
19 Likes

Great film. My dad loves it, still quotes it heavily and laugh out loud to it which doesn’t happen very often!

I think ITV2 have it on repeat so it’s always one to stick on in the background. Guardian article absolute tosh

i’m a shrek convert

Not gonna click on the article but shrek’s really good imo, part of the reason why aspects seem tired now is cos of how influential it was

2 Likes

7 Likes

It feels more dated than a lot of similar films from that era, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing I don’t think, not everything’s meant to be timeless.

Thought people only liked it ironically ?

It was nominated for a ballon d’or

10 Likes

I watched it with my kids recently, and it’s really kinda shite.

2 Likes

never seen it

Not a controversial take at all. A CORRECT take.

1 Like

I’m an onion