Sicily

Looking to go somewhere that’s still warm in October-ish so this is on the list. Please discuss Sicily here

Particularly interested in any hiking / cycling that people have done.

Ooo, we’re thinking of going to sicily in october too. See you there!

1 Like

No useful specific advice but the landscape in Sicily is really varied and surprising (to me anyway). Obviously you have the dark volcanic barren landscape and the amazing coastal roads but quite a bit of the interior has an almost alpine feel.

For cycling definitely do lots of research and planning as Italy generally is often difficult for cycling in terms of joining up suitable routes, avoiding main roads etc.

2 Likes

I was going to say to not go to the place that I went to because it was a bit rubbish, but I looked it up and it turns out that was in Sardinia, so definitely don’t go there if you want a nice holiday in Sicily.

1 Like

Gabagool

Palermo and Syracuse/Ortigia are both lovely, Catania is also nice but didn’t feel like it had quite as much personality as the other two. Palermo is probably my pick of the lot.

1 Like

off to sicily for the first time in july for a wedding. think we’re gonna stay on the island for the week after. cannot wait and looking forward to some recommendations.

2 Likes

Think we might migrate from Catania (do Etna etc) across to Palermo for a more relaxing second half so that lines up well!

1 Like

Also booked up for Sicily this September. Doing Palermo and maybe a couple of days in Cefalu.

Would appreciate any recommendations beyond eating tons of Cannoli which I plan on doing anyway.

Bit of a trip into the interior but Villa Romana del Casale is an absolutely great bunch of well preserved mosaics with daft looking animals and gods and nudes and that

Giving this a bump for any Palermo recommendations (trip suggestions from Palermo also welcome). Heading in 2 weeks and buzzing to get away.

Had one night in palermo 6 weeks or so ago. Loved it and wish i had more time there. We stumbled across the church of martorana, fucking stunning, well worth a visit. Quite incredible.
Again stumbled across quattro Canti which is really cool and we were lucky enough that there was some feast of santa rosalia (pure godfather Fanucci type vibe), was really cool.
That whole area is hoatchin with bars and restaurants.
We ate at this place - https://ajamolapalermo.it/ and it was fucking dynamite.

Like i said we only had an afternoon and evening there and i’d love to go back and explore more.

1 Like

Thanks for this Lopes! :pray:

1 Like

meant to say that when we got there we found a wee market area (a few mins from the church i mentioned above), loads of food stalls frying up fresh prawns/ squid/mussels etc. was excellent.
Also the main road that leads to Quattro Canti has loads of cracking wee places selling all kinds of excellent food. We ate well in Palermo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so excited to just pace around the food markets and eat whatever I can get my hands on.

1 Like

there’s plenty for you to get yer hands on :slight_smile:

1 Like