Side dishes

Nearly always brilliant. Would sometimes (NOT always) happily just have a selection of sides instead of a main.

Best ones:
Chips
Loaded potato skins
Popcorn chicken
Onion rings

Overrated one:
Mozzarella sticks

Let’s hear it for the humble side dish.

8 Likes

Love sides, you can assemble yourself a great meal out of sides and it’s fun, like tapas but somehow with even more potato

7 Likes

Regularly just tapas sides in a none tapas restaurant, no mains

3 Likes

A good deep fried mozzy stick with good mozzarella is a thing of wonder, oven breaded shite in the bin though

5 Likes

saag

6 Likes

Would take a deep-fried brie or camembert bite over mozz any day.

1 Like

definitely the way forward in your standard anglicised local indian innit

chana masala, bit of okra, some mushrooms, saag paneer. fiver each or whatever. all thali all the time.

6 Likes

i endorse this message

2 Likes

One of the things that the Americans do way better than us too. Mac n cheese, wings etc vs. a little dish of cabbage or broccoli or something.

2 Likes

onion bhaji with the red dip

5 Likes

can’t be doing with a meal of sides, even if its a local Indian. need a big, beefy plate of my own food with limited ingredients or I start panicking.

Oh nobody said anything about sharing.

2 Likes

I like to karate chop the stack of poppadoms, makes me feel like a big man

4 Likes

Bao should always be a side dish, never enough food for a main.

1 Like

Still never had one.

you know when you are handed a deck of cards and fuck about with them, spread em out, shuffle them, bang them straight on the table - the same motions should be applied to popadoms.

2 Likes

yeah that would rule, just nonchalantly dealing them out to people around the table without looking

2 Likes

Used to be a place in Bristol that did great bao but pretty mediocre mains. I’d sometimes buy a bao to eat while wandering around and deciding where to have my actual meal.

more than one popadom should be called a ‘deck’ of popadoms too.

3 Likes

not many foods you can make into a deck really, maybe pancakes

1 Like