Silly things you believed as a child

Used to think that the reason old TV shows were in black and white is because the world itself wss black and white then

16 Likes

Good will always prevail over evil

13 Likes

My friend told me girls wee out of their bums. Don’t think I believed him

2 Likes

I remember believing if you sneezed with your eyes open they would explode…actually that one might be true

That my friend had dropped the pound I found outside church.

9 Likes

I also thought the world was in black and white, and I asked my dad how he felt when God invented colour

2 Likes

That there local folklore that if the Humber Bridge fell, a giant would come out of the river and lift it back up (I didn’t think this was true, just that it was a story everyone knew. Turns out my dad just blagged it driving past one day).

Similarly, relating to the Humber, my dad told me you couldn’t swim in it because of powerful currents. As a child I assumed he meant currants, and imagined like huge thickets of blackberry bushes under the surface of the water, which would tangle you and pull you under. Assumed that whenever anyone mentioned river currents for ages.

13 Likes

That it was illegal to have the lights on in the car when driving. I blame my parents for that one.

24 Likes

My parents definitely told me this too. In fact I don’t think I’ve questioned it until now.

13 Likes

I thought university was in outer space.

5 Likes

Same.

1 Like

My mum told me babies came from baby cabbages and I used to wince whenever she cut one.

1 Like

I still believe that. Now tell my own kids it!

1 Like

I like that it’s continuing on :smiley:

1 Like

similarly, if you left your high beams on approaching another car you would premanently blind the other driver

3 Likes

Yes! That one too.

I heard someone refer to a bad dancer as having ‘two left feet’ and I believed that it was an actual condition that people could have and spent ages at weddings checking out peoples shoes

2 Likes

She was telling the truth

2 Likes

That the top of the radio mast I could see over the hill was the Eiffel Tower.

11 Likes

That the trainers in the ad in my comic really did have rockets at the back.

3 Likes