The Actual Simpsons Thread (But everyone finally got over their Steamed Hams thing.)

4 Likes

16 Likes

Thoughts on this?

The character is pretty inappropiate. Think they should admit it and retire him now, since the show’s beyond broken anyway.

I know nothing about how it works in s America, but it kinda seems as if they love a bit of “affectionate racism” towards Indian people over there. Idk. Kinda like with Jewish people, with the difference being that Jewish people actually write many of those jokes.

When I was travelling in the US, I was amazed how much open racism there was against “asians” (mainly Chinese and Japanese) in TV comedy. It seemed they were seen as fair game in a way that they could never have gotten away with talking about blacks, Jewish and even hispanics. This is a few years back now (2010) so I don’t doubt that things may have improved somewhat

yeah my housemate watches a lot of american comedy of varying quality and the number of jokes about Asians in the shitter stuff always staggers me a bit. “HAHA THIS GUY IS ASIAN SO HE’S GOOD AT MATH HAHAHAHA”.

2 Likes

13 Likes

Well this had done me for the day.

8 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes

This has come up a whole bunch of times in a Facebook Simpsons group I’m in, with loads of awful #hottakes and defensive posts.

I guess the thing with it is that the show itself is a pretty weird anachronism at this point. Stuff like Apu is essentially unchanged from when the show started, even though that was nearly 30 years ago.

Can’t help but think that if a sitcom from the early 1960s was still on air in the early 1990s it would’ve been equally torn to shreds. And quite rightly so.

12 Likes

14 Likes

Could someone point me in the direction of that Simpsons meme generator that everyone on here uses?

Frinkiac!

1 Like

Thank you! Pretty much completes my life

4 Likes

don’t think the first three posts in this thread ever got the love they deserved tbh.

2 Likes

Took a while to get going but now easily the best thread we’ve had on here. Probably too good for DiS if anything.

7 Likes