Singers whose voice changed quite a bit

Bob Dylan, duh

1 Like

I can’t listen to Elton John nowadays. His voice is so bad. He had such a pretty voice when he was younger.

Tom Waits

2 Likes

Really like his voice, but sometimes it sounds like he’s singing through a yawn in a way that makes me chuckle.

she had some problem with her vocal chords right? let’s just agree that her squeak evolved somehow.

1 Like

Frank Black
Lydia Lunch
Nick Cave

And yeah Ought sound so different, I’m cool with it as it’s better now and his old style of singing just wouldn’t have suited the stuff he does now but it’s quite a dramatic shift.

I remember seeing Josh Rouse at Union Chapel and when someone shouted a request for him to play Direction, he explained how something had happened to his voice and he basically couldn’t song most of the songs from his first few albums anymore which ended up being a big factor in his change of style and genre.

Scott Walker used to sound like a sad lion and now sounds like a ghost

9 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Chino. So trebly now, kinda hurts my ears. Don’t hear the croon so much.

1 Like

I was going to say Paul Weller but then thought it’s just the accent that’s changed rather than the sound of his voice.

Alex Chilton’s voice is completely different with The Box Tops compared to big star

Weirdly on the Letter he sounds like he’s about 50 (when he’s still in his teens I think) then reverts to something much higher and younger sounding for Big Star

I don’t really know his solo stuff - but what I’ve heard seems to change again

Bowie.

Michael Stipe.

Whenever he sang Everybody Hurts live towards the end, he always sang the “Don’t throooooooowwwwaawwww your haaaands” bit an octave lower than on Automatic.

Can’t think why I never saw them play Tongue live…

He defintely became a bit more guttural in latter years generally.

Forgot one of the most obvious ones - Isaac Brock! It’s hard to believe that the guy who sang “Baby Blue Sedan” is the same guy singing now. (I love everything he’s done though)