Sleater Kinney 2021

1 Like

Another one that just sounds fine to me.

This review does mention it as one of the weaker songs:

Why did they bother? Who needs more antonyms from Carrie?

Enjoyed their selections on this

1 Like

It’s good that, kinda reminds me of Jenny Lewis’s last album. Really like Worry With Me, thought the next one was a bit meh, but this is nice. Gonna be a pretty mellow album isn’t it.

This is … actually quite good? Maybe my expectations were at rock bottom after TCWH but I am really enjoying it.

Some of the songs feel a little undercooked and the production is not as raw as their best stuff, but the basic elements are there.

2 Likes

Good solid 7/10 to stick on for a few beers and a BBQ :+1:

4 Likes

Sounds good musically (the drumming is fine - sob)
No absolute lyrical clangers like the last one but I still think they’ve lost the lyrical edge they once had: there are some very obvious rhymes and empty sloganeering in places which is a shame cos I would once have had them right near the top of rock lyricists. Nothing terrible but just not as great as they used to be.

1 Like

Im liking this on first play. I’ll just pretend the last album never happened.

Waiting on a pre-order from Norman Records. Good to hear decent first impressions.

The sum of their singles sounds a lot better together. I don’t think it’ll be one of my most played s-k albums but they definitely sound a lot more comfortable which makes for a better album imo.

I still miss Janet :cry:

2 Likes

:grimacing:

i’m hate-watching this but i really should stop

1 Like

Can’t see myself sticking with this for many listens. The instrumental bits and production are fine, but the lyrics seem clunky at best, and Carrie’s having an absolute shocker with her vocals. Not really interested in listening to songs about how people dared not to enjoy the last album.

Yeah feels like a pretty average album overall for them, not a bad one by any means, and works better as a whole.

I think they should have just dropped it in a surprise drop like Radiohead and had no singles to be honest.

overall the first half of the album didn’t do loads for me (haven’t got to the rest yet) but Method is really great - has some slink and some swagger to it, which is exactly what all their best tracks had in spades