Slightly Odd interactions With Strangers

yeah thats not how it works

11 Likes

Okay, that is a little bit weird, but I think staff are meant to check that youā€™ve used elastoplast before just in case you might be allergic to it.

Maybe she got a little flustered and it came out wrong.

thatā€™s a shame, would have thought they could do like an hour on tills, then you can go sweep the aisles or put stock on shelves, then you can come back later to the till

is there another word for till? I feel like Iā€™m about 80 saying till

Checkout?

1 Like

checkout?

1 Like

thanks guys!

6 Likes

Was staying at a hotel in New York last weekend. In the lift this guy asks me what floor and when he hears my accent he asks where Iā€™m from (turns out he was from Texas).

When I tell him Iā€™m from Scotland he says heā€™s always wanted to go and asks me if I know Iain Banks. So I say not personally obviously but knew of him and had read a couple of his books. The Texan gets all excited and tells me heā€™s his favourite author, ā€œgreat writer!ā€ I agree and say ā€œYeah he isā€¦ or at least he wasā€ Texan looks confused so I tell him he passed away a couple of years ago. Texan looks confused and devastated having not known this.

Lift stops at my floor and I have to get out, Texan clearly wantā€™s to know more but thereā€™s someone else in the lift who clearly doesnā€™t want to be held up listening to our conversation, so the doors close and that was that.

He looked genuinely gutted.

17 Likes

when i was at asda it was just checkouts for the entire shift. occasionally id put some stuff back that people had left at the checkout but weā€™re talking about half an hour every couple of weeks

1 Like

did you do any fun things to break up the boredom?

like guess how many items each person was going to buy and if you got it right give yourself 10 points. Lose 5 points if you go over.

sometimes my friend elisa would share a bag of flying saucers with me. i learnt how to sleep with my eyes open when doing late shifts (it was a 24hr asda)

1 Like

man thatā€™s brutal

1 Like

:man_shrugging: it paid the rent

1 Like

This guy missed a trick. He could also have asked you if you were going to eat the sushi.

1 Like

I memorised all the 4 digit product codes for the fruit and veg when I worked on the till at Tesco. Theyā€™d still pop into my mind years later.

1 Like

PEAR!

4 Likes

Which kind? Conference? Umm, the other one that isnā€™t Conference?