Small ways you felt like "I've made it"

When my mum and dad bought a secondhand fridge freezer to put in the garage.

Well, that’s it, we’ve made it, we’re an American TV family now and all I need to keep working on is getting a phone in the kitchen with a massive cable like in Roseanne and we’re all set.

15 Likes

Can pretty much buy all the sweets and crisps I want. Living the dream.

12 Likes

Oh yeah, I was thinking I didn’t have a moment as an adult but I can eat chocolate for dinner if I want. Take that parents!

3 Likes

Popping into a newsagents or corner shop on a whim to buy a chocolate bar and fizzy drink still makes me feel like an independent adult.

A bit like when you catch a plane on your own.

9 Likes

My dentist is a very weird guy with few social skills and often as a result quite insulting (I assume unintentionally). However, since I paid for a load of mega expensive :grimacing: private work he now calls me sir whenever I go in. Like I’m The Queen or something :woman_shrugging:

Made it :sunglasses:

10 Likes

First time we went for a family trip to Makro, and bought a box of crisps with 48 packs of Worcester Sauce flavour.

Knowing we’d never need crisps again*.

*We did need crisps again.

8 Likes

Grim: when I got a job in a call centre and went in wearing a tie and got a pass with my name and picture on and desk with my name on it, and I though fuck yeah I’ve made it I’ve got proper job now, no more retail or hospitality for this professional :clown_face:

Actually good: getting correctly gendered unprompted by strangers for the first time. Drunk bunch of students next to me at a bar trying to take a big selfie. Me scared of them and trying to mind my own business, one of them goes “ask that girl if she’ll take it”, assumed they meant the bar staff but actually was me

46 Likes

We’ve been to our local coffee shop enough times that they not only know our order, they know exactly how much hot water we like in our matching YETI mugs to make a black Americano how we like it!

Made it!

7 Likes

The time my parents came up and we took them out for a meal and I paid for it at the end even though I think they were expecting to pay

13 Likes

The first Saturday morning after I’d moved out of my parents house to a shared house. Got up on Saturday morning with the world as my oyster, went to the shops and bought a pack of sausages, orange Warburtons loaf and a paper. Ate by sausage sandwich and read the paper in my kitchen.

Really felt at that that moment like fuck yeah, I made it…

21 Likes

Staying in a posh hotel*

something that’s not Travelodge/Premier Inn

6 Likes

The first time I got to go on a work trip I felt like I’d made it. Admittedly I’d travelled by easyjet and it was only as far as Dublin, but as far as I was concerned, I was now part of the jet set!

5 Likes

when Boards of Canada liked one of my tweets.

16 Likes

Making an active decision to improve something in your home space instead of struggling by until something falls apart.

3 Likes

Just got to fill you in on something folks, based on so many of you feeling chuffed about being able to buy yourself a Wispa without having to ask your mum…

:1st_place_medal: WE’VE ALL MADE IT :partying_face:

Have a GREAT weekend. Don’t forget to brush your teeth, or don’t, whatever!

20 Likes

bought some curtains for the first time last year

3 Likes

impressed whistle

3 Likes

I also bought a toilet seat

4 Likes

This thread can’t contain such levels of adulthood

2 Likes

I bought some shelves in 2020. They’re still in the packaging, propped up against the wall that I intended to put them on. But still, I bought some shelves and that made me feel like an adult.

9 Likes