Snooker Masters '18

Selby out.

The quality seems pretty ridiculous. Allen, Day and Trump/Liang have all been excellent. Apparently, Ronnie’s just won 6-0 with a 98% potting average.

Anyone bothering?

Think will win…

• Ronnie
  • Allen
  • Day
  • McGill
  • Higgins
  • Trump
  • Smurf
  • Carter
  • The Hawk
  • Kyren
  • Williams

0 voters

Want to win…

• Ronnie
  • Allen
  • Day
  • McGill
  • Higgins
  • Trump
  • Smurf
  • Carter
  • The Hawk
  • Kyren
  • Williams

0 voters

Yeah Ronnie was unplayable just then. Said he had some sort of virus though in the post-match interview so maybe that will stop him being all-conquering this week. Who knows.

Be good to see a first time winner this year. Like Allen or Trump. Masters is pretty impossible to call though - the standard in the top 16 is frankly ridiculous now.

This match between Higgins and McGill is pretty decent. Would be nice if McGill progressed.

Yeah that was a shame. Been a fan of McGill since he broke through at the Crucible a few years back. Got all the elements of a great player there but a more seasoned pro would’ve closed that out I reckon. Seems a proper nice lad McGill - wonder if he’s too nice.

Bit of an anti-climax last night. Williams didn’t seem to be with it at all.

Still, good to see the man playing consistently well again for the most part. If you’ve come to snooker in the last 10-12 years or so, it’s difficult to quantify just HOW good Williams was in his pomp. Easily the best player in the world from 1998-2003 or so. Easily. Better than Higgins, O’Sullivan, Hendry, all of them. Best long potter the game’s ever seen - doesn’t get his due for changing the way the game’s played. Before Williams no-one used to routinely attempt stray long reds after a break off. If the ball was a millimeter off the baulk cushion he’d have a crack, usually pot it, usually clear up. Now that’s the standard but no-one, not even Hendry, regularly played like that.

All round good egg as well - would love him to win another big one.

An Allen v Wilson finaly would be #lovelystuff.

I remember being at Uni and watching Williams win the Worlds. Great day that.

Mate was there on Tuesday and sacked the evening off because he’d seen Ronnie in the afternoon and nothing was going to top that. Shame he couldn’t kick on yesterday.

Kyren Wilson looked good last night, haven’t seen much of him before, wouldn’t mind him going all the way.

Was that the Stevens final or the Doherty final? Both brilliant. The latter especially - the last truly great World final in my view. With the former you felt they were both going to dominate the game for years to come. By 2007 they were both totally spent. Funny old game.

Yeah Wilson’s got all the elements to be World Champ and he most probably will be. All about the temperament - got to the quarters in the last 2 years at the Crucible and hasn’t looked phased at all. One of those lads who is difficult to beat even if he isn’t playing well. Like him a lot.

Just looking at a list of winners, completely passed me by that Selby won three in four years. I always watch it but have no recollection of that at all. Would’ve guessed he’d won one. Something about him makes me turn off. Seems like a nice lad, but find his style quite uneventful. Is this a popular opinion?

Always surprised when i remember Parrott and Dott won it as well. Without seeing a list of losing finalists, i think Dott made three finals, which again passed me by somewhat.

I agree with this. He’s undoubtedly a very good snooker player, but I don’t think his style of play is particularly memorable. Perhaps tends to go more for the safe option?

Yeah it’s a popular opinion for sure but I don’t agree with it personally. His first final was memorable because he finally overhauled O’Sullivan and it was quite stunning to watch really. Ronnie completely collapsed. His last 2 victories have been pretty drab - more of a case of last man standing really (both Ding and Higgins were completely shot by the time they got to the final).

I like Selby a lot. Has a reputation for being boring but I don’t think he is - he can score as heavily as anyone and is probably the best at pulling incredible pots out of the bag under pressure. He is slow and methodical though, there’s no denying that. Proper good lad as well - grew up about as poor as they come, his mum died of cancer when he was a teenager… grafted his way out of it through snooker. Willie Thorne’s snooker club was a big deal in Leicester in the 90s and no-one there looked at Selby and went “future world champ right there”. Worked his arse off and became the best in the world. Respect.

Nah it’s more the fact he plays the right shot, which isn’t always the most entertaining granted. I haven’t seen Selby play the wrong shot in about 5 years.

I guess it comes down to whether the viewer’s a bit of a purist or wants to be entertained. I don’t play snooker and don’t really enjoy the defensive side to the game. Guess it’s not too far removed from the romantic v pragmatic argument you get in football, or even to a lesser extent between fans of short or long-form cricket. It’s a bit silly really, but i guess given the social club origins of snooker most casual fans primarily side with the players with the biggest personalities and most aggressive playing styles.

The Stevens final. Watched it in the student bar, with my pal Ollie sipping our Snakey-Bs. Always preferred Williams out of the two Welshman… Stevens just too clean-cut for my liking back in the day. :slight_smile:

Oh for sure. I personally like Selby a lot but can see why others don’t and that’s grand. He is very slow and calculated and that is inherently not as entertaining. Snooker’s always had an entertainers vs. pragmatists thing - part of the reason I enjoy it so much. I don’t agree with the use of the word ‘purists’ in this context (you weren’t doing this but many do) and that tactical play is the purer form of the game. Absolute bullshit. Judd Trump is as much of a pure snooker player as Mark Selby is, it’s all bullshit.

Haha those curtains Stevens used to have. Grotesque.

Yes, that’s fair, actually.