So ATP/Willwal was finally wound up in January

I was there for that Bloc - seriously sketchy stuff and genuinely felt a bit scared stuck on a ship with crowds bottle-necking to get on and people kicking off. Before that it was relatively amusing - went to see Mala DJ right in the middle of the dancefloor and could have a full on chat with my mate at normal speaking levels

3 Likes

Didn’t they try a really different line-up once and it didn’t go down as well? Or am I misremembering that.

Yeah, we saw DMZ and Shackleton in that terrible tent, could barely hear either. After that we heard the main stages had closed so we gave up and left. Had a fairly decent night at Fabric in the end.

3 Likes

We couldn’t get a taxi so walked to a hotel nearby. Sitting waiting for a taxi and met Flying Lotus and Snoop Dogg. Started drinking Hennessy out of the bottle with Snoop’s drummer in hotel reception. Asked to join Snoop in his limo into central London but he literally laughed in my face. 10/10 night

18 Likes

See you in the pit for Vengaboys.

1 Like

And then on the day after…

3 Likes

Aka “the Peter Ridsdale technique”

3 Likes

Matt Groening one: half full
Pavement the next weekend: sold out

I think once it shifted to Butlins it always existed in an awkward space between what a smaller number of people online thought it should be and what a larger number of people would actually pay for.

But then I say that as someone who would rather watch Dino Jr for the 20th time than basically any drone set

1 Like

I vaguely remember some noise around Matt Groening’s choices and maybe a Sonic Youth/Thurston Moore (??) one which was a lot of similar noise artists and was quite repetiive. Memory is cloudy though

Haha, that was exactly what it reminded me of too!

Just gonna share some fun ATP memories, in no particular order

• be your own pet playing for twenty minutes and then running off with bits of the PA, to the sound man’s visible annoyance
  • having no idea who tune yards was and just going cos it was morning and I was bored
  • Franz Ferdinand’s “secret” set at Bowlie 2
  • Modest Mouse playing in the big top on a beautiful sunny afternoon
  • an afternoon that even Camber count ruin that I’m pretty sure went Los Campesinos > Hold Steady > Les Savy Fav
  • Yeah Yeah Yeahs being really late, and Karen O walking on stage to boos, only to snarl “what’s up, fuckos” :sunglasses:
  • seeing Portishead
  • Broken Social Scene like a gazillion times
  • Daniel Johnston playing on a lawn outside a chalet
  • organising and having a Christmas dinner for 20-odd people at a late December one
  • that creepy man from Belle & Sebastian walking in to a killer DJ set of 90s hip hop in the Irish bar, shaking his head and leaving
  • Oneida playing for 8? 12? hours and still managing to do Sheets of Easter as a closer

I dunno, loads more. Great festival. Dickhead organiser.

12 Likes

Pavement was fun but this had a much better line up in retrospect. Stooges, toumani diabate, deerhunter, the xx, joanna newsom, thee oh sees (no idea who they were then so probs would have missed it but still). Think Pavement sold out before any other acts were announced.

2 Likes

There was a day of I’ll Be Your Mirror in 2011 where I saw a run of Godspeed, Liars, Beach House, Swans, Grinderman and Portishead. Could have seen Caribou afterwards but I was far too drunk and needed to be taken home.

7 Likes

loved grinderman fucking up the opening to their first song at their live debut and having to start over

3 Likes

EPMD at nightmare before christmas 2009 were amazing.

1 Like

2005 Mars Volta ATP blew my mind apart. Loved it.

Enjoyed all of the others immensely but that MV one was really just the best.

2 Likes

yeah this, lineup was just incredible

My new house, you should seeeeee my new house

It was my first ATP as well, and I was so ready for it.

1 Like

My ex and friend were too hungover to deal with Godspeed so had to sit on the grass outside :grinning:
Got right to the front of that Alan Moore & Stephen O Malley thing. Was total bobbins but had to stay for the duration.
Portishead were spectacular