So I finished my record. Thought I'd put the little preview up on DiS and stuff

Also thank you!

Thank you man. Was wondering if DiS would enjoy this so it’s been really nice to have so much good feedback!

Thank you a lot a lot for listening through - bit happy and humbled from such a good response

1 Like

Only dipped my toe in so far but sounds great man!! Big sound :star_struck:

2 Likes

<3 honestly made up with the production

2 Likes

oh this is really fucking great. Songs are super-hooky and love the production, LC! vs Frank vs Dananananaykroyd. Fully on board.

1 Like

Nnngggg being associated with Dananana has 100% made my week. One of my favourite bands ever. Thank you!

2 Likes

good work big man

1 Like

Lovely lovely stuff, man. x

1 Like

thank you my dude - got a bit drunk last night in quiet celebration of the reception to the record on this thread!

4 Likes

thank you bro - glad you got to hear the full final product! :smiley:

1 Like

Just wanted to say fankoo for the feedback, and waking up to some sales of the record was possibly the best thing ever. You are the best ones, DiS

4 Likes

I’d love to know the details of the writing/recording!

I was involved in a similar project during lockdown, the resulting album due later this year.

I wish I’d blogged it as a reminder, but when you start these things you don’t expect them to turn into a ‘thing’!

1 Like

so this record the writing is all me (it won’t be the case in future), only because i made the songs before i realised i needed a band as it were.

all always started with me recording myself on laptop webcam playing the song through on acoustic (so i can remember what my left hand is doing on the guitar).

THEN i demoed with logic, using their AI drumming machine which is absolutely mindblowing, guitar DI’d, no bass (although i just bought one) and singing straight into the laptop onboard microphone.

then gave those files to the band and the producer/lead guitarist. he tweaked the drums after converting them to midi because he’s better at it than i am.

THEN we got the drummer in who spent a couple days learning them, one day bashing them out in the studio, which we were chuffed to discover has excellent acoustics.

The demoes, now with real drums, went to bassist who tracked her parts from home, DI’ing a clean take alongside an amped version that meant we could either use the latter, or at least use it as a guide to colour the tones of the former.

guitars and keys went down next over the course of two days, split between my rhythm stuff and the producer’s lead parts. we used a kemper for the guitar tones because it’s near impossible to beat for dialling in tones quickly. keys we used a midi keyboard and did the standard ‘keep clicking until something sounds good’

most of the rhythm guitar parts have organ/synth pad tracked behind them on choruses to thicken the sound. you can’t actually hear it per se, but you can hear when it’s there and where it’s not because it really does make quite a big difference to the overall finished product.

if i remember right we even tracked a saw lead behind a guitar octave part and solo to do the same thing. it’s a cheeky trick but it works insanely well.

vocals, again two days. i recorded one of the female voices (belonging to stevie) on my own old-model se2200a the week previous, just using one of those foam mic booth things to get away with it. helen (bassist) recorded all her vox from home. frank (producer/guitarist) and i did the vocals in the studio with a U87 into an ART Voice Pro preamp.

vocals, to be completely honest, are comped pretty savagely. i can sing in tune 90% of the time, which meant about 10% of notes needed picking from other takes because they were a little flat or a little sharp - nothing severe but drives me nuts if it’s ever so slightly wonky. so very few ‘one take’ vox aside from l’appel intro. but the way i see it that’s still better than pitch correction.

added a few handclaps where appropriate at the end and then left frank to mix and master!

sorry for essay, was on train and had nowt else to do so thought i’d go for it :smiley:

oh: used my terrible/best-pal janky ibanez frankenstein creation for all rhythm chugging, tele and LP for lead/octave work and bass is an old ricky!

5 Likes

oh and def put your own music up on here when it’s done!

2 Likes

Well done on your music, my dear x

1 Like

Thank you duckie x

1 Like

Thanks for that! That is exactly what I was after. So Frank (?) has an actual studio space? The drums sound great. I’m currently fascinated by people’s ‘home’ recording plan; we recorded in two houses, 200 miles apart without meeting once (I think) during the process. I recorded drums in my garage, which was a very stressful, but ultimately worthwhile part of the process. Next time I’ll rent a space/house somewhere for drum tracking I think since I was obviously limited by how much the neighbours could reasonably be expected to tollerate!

Your write-up was great; thanks again!

1 Like

yes: he’s got what was an old summer house when he moved in, split into two and soundproofed to create a control room on one side and the recording space in the other. and yes tracking the drums by yourself and under pressure of time sounds exceptionally stressful and punishing!

1 Like

This is fucking good. Can’t wait to see you guys play live :raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes