So... technology

They’ve got teams of data-hamsters on the case then?

1 Like

Maybe the bigger danger is that fucking halfwits like yer man Boris genuinely believes (as much as he believes anything other than in his own right to rule and the fact that he’s absolutely bursting with spunk) that technology will magically solve intractable border issues, pandemics and climate change, rather than just being a way to do the same stuff that we do now but faster.

3 Likes

Oh yeah and that face app thing that makes you look old or whatever but to use it you’re giving them permission to use your face for whatever they want. Like… maybe don’t?

2 Likes

It was the half-life Alyx thing that made R beg for it for his birthday back in may. I thought the novelty would wear off but he is still v into it.

Hilarious watching him too.

1 Like

Machine learning

These and similar tools will be being used for nefarious means too

I’ve also got a project on the go to automate parts of my job, with the long game being to use machine learning and natural language processing to do it, but obviously I’m not daft enough to tell my employer that I’m making code that can replace me.

Exactly. I don’t understand it.
Millennials and Gen Z should know better really. It’s similar to protestors getting arrested cause they’d posted their tattoos online. Just fucking don’t??
And don’t give an app permission to scan your face, you morons

1 Like

I do think it’s daft that all the gains in battery capacity and charge density and all that have been wiped out by phone makers going “sweet, we can use that extra juice to show more pixels, faster!”

3 Likes

But the EVEN BIGGER danger is that a bunch of super privilaged empathy vacuums in Silicon Valley preached a doctrine of innovation and disruption to usher in a new tech utopia but really just hoovered up untold wealth, massively increased the inequality endemic within Western democracies and changed the ways human beings interacted with each other on a fundamental level without really understanding or giving the slightest fuck about consequences. And now seem largely concerned with fucking off into space/turning New Zealand into a giant bunker to hide in when the consequences get a bit too much.

Dominic Cummings is just a poundshop knock off of those guys and Boris thinks he’s an actual wizard.

12 Likes

:smiley: I ALWAYS worry about it.

We all think we have nothing to hide, but I bet you wouldn’t want a camera in your bedroom to record what you get off on. Shock! You have one and it’s recording

1 Like
5 Likes

You don’t know my life

1 Like

The last time I really freaked out was when Spotify or similar had a deal that if you signed up you got a free google mini nest or whatever it’s called.
Maybe stop and think about why one of the biggest companies in the world is giving them out for free. Just for a minute or two.

3 Likes

Imagining a government agent calling me up and saying “lol that shit is tame” and then hanging up on me

2 Likes

I honestly don’t care. I draw the line at having an Alexa or whatever in my house but pretty much anything else is fair game.

Tbf part of that is so they can put Sonos out of business. There’s a beeves issue.

:smiley: haha!
I’d love to speak to the government agent in charge of keeping an eye on me.
“You total bitch, are you okay?”
“NO!”
“Okay.”
[all ads on Instagram are now for therapy]

2 Likes

Actually last thing that shat me up about this was when we did a driver safety thing at work and the instructor said she’d had a client who had an accident while speeding on the way to work in the morning and in court to show that i) he was tired from being up too late the night before and ii) the he was a bad person, they showed the court exactly what he’d been looking at on his phone at midnight. On a nice big screen.

1 Like

:joy: Just remembered the period Tory MPs would vaguely refer to “technology solutions” to Brexit that didn’t exist then, and wouldn’t you know who won the pony - still don’t. Amazing.

1 Like

I think nothing of what I do on my phone or laptop but I find Alexa and stuff like that a bit weird and dystopian. Feels like giving your life over to Amazon a bit.

I reckon it’s a great invention for people with disabilities and stuff but the rest of us probably don’t really need one do we?

1 Like