So this "cat person" new yorker story that's going viral

why?

dunno

I’ve not heard of this, and then I got about three paragraphs in and saw how much I had left to read, and abandoned it.

2 Likes

also lots of people keep calling it an article or essay, which i find confusing.

reads like a novelisation of that ‘i like old movies’ advert

2 Likes

Is this really shit? Not going to read it either way but would like to hold an opinion

7 Likes

This is some pretty horrendous prose.

it’s not really that long tbf

And the article?

4 Likes

I think it’s because people assume that it’s a non-fiction piece and then realise that it’s not, and they’re not used to seeing short stories presented like that. (Not sure why though - it’s pretty common).

It reads as very believeable - plus it’s quite brave to have a first person narrator and the other main character who are extraordinarily ordinary as well as being just not being that nice.

1 Like

Sorry that was peurile. Not clicking the link to find out. Vine me once, shame on you etc.

well it has some finely tuned observations about dating, the lies people tell themselves and others, disturbing behaviour and such, but…isn’t that what you should expect from a well written story anyway, idk.

the prose is typical new yorker, which is to say it’s raymond carver-lite, stodgy “gritty realist” stuff, with nary a polished turn of phrase or stunning descriptive passage to be found. that’s not really the author’s fault though, tbh - the new yorker editors are almost entirely without poetry or imagination in their hearts.

1 Like

Is Robert one of those nice, caring, sensitive chaps who angrily complains that women don’t sleep with him because he’s ‘a nice guy’? (I’ve read 4 paragraphs and checked out)

maybe 30 years ago, but considering carver did a number on what americans think is “good” “truthful” prose and storytelling, it’s kind of standard for the contemporary TNY tbh.

It features sentences such as:

“You’re welcome, concession-stand girl,” he said, though of course he knew her name by then.

6 Likes

That’s a strange name. Is it Dutch?

@aboynamedgoo

I’m thinking more of how mundane the characters are. Like, the point is that nothing sets them apart in any way.

No idea what you’re asking.

I like The New Yorker, even though I hardly ever read the fiction section, oviously.

3 Likes

Kinda. Plot summary (CW: misogynistic language / behaviour): 20-year-old woman meets 34-year-old man at a concession stand. They end up dating and then having some really crap sex. Three or four days later she cools it off; no real drama. A month or so down the line, he sees her in a bar (with a male friend of hers) and then later that night bombards her with a series of texts, ending with “whore”.

So basically I think it’s just been seized upon as a relatable story. Prose itself is pretty unremarkable.

2 Likes