So who else is going to do an FFVII playthrough in honour of the 20th anniversary?

People would probably lose their shit these days if a game started with you playing as a bunch of terrorists trying to blow something up.

The remake won’t have ‘this guy are sick’ in it, so it’s already got one thing against it.

2 Likes

I won’t be purely due to time constraints. However I fucking love it, first FF I ever played and it was totally by chance (a friend wanted to lend my Broken Sword on the PS1 and there’s was nothing I wasn’t interested in lending of theirs so I was just like “whatever one you don’t like m8” and he gave me FF7 as he wasnt really feeling it despite it only coming out a week before or something).

I felt similar playing through it, couldn’t understand why it was on 3 discs as when I was getting to the end of the Midgar bit it felt like the end of the game was coming, then came the motorcycle chase bit and then the world map and I felt this sense of vastness that I never had with any other game before and I was hooked.

Love the story, pretty much all the charachters, art design and especially the music.

Only game that’s topped it for me was Last of Us and I went into that really doubting the hype as nothing has come remotely close in my mind to being as good as FF7, as much as I enjoyed FF8, 9, 10 and even 5 and 6.

I’ll get the remake, if it ever comes out!

6 Likes
3 Likes

2 Likes

I probably won’t as I replayed relatively recently (though, that said, the nostalgia came kicking back in and I got the temptation to). It’s weird how resonant this game is!

1 Like

Thinking of giving IX a replay on the PS4 when it gets sunnier (or just whenever I feel like it) though. The nostalgia for that isn’t quite as powerful as that for VII, although every time I replay it or watch clips on YouTube or whatever, I feel that it’s become more and more embedded in my memory.

1 Like

IX looks incredible for an og PlayStation game, so much charm and character in the models and backgrounds.

4 Likes

I’ll replay it.

I watched my pal finish it back in 2002, he and I loved it. I was always totally shit at RPGs and didn’t get properly into them/good until around 2012. Which was when I finished FFVII for myself, on a PS1 and a CRT TV in my tiny room at the time.

I did play a lot of FFX however when that went platinum. That was always ‘my’ RPG cos it was just about easy enough for me back then.

I play RPGs all the time now.

1 Like

Hadn’t clocked that it was 20 years! Was thinking about playing though IV as I’ve never played that one, but a replay of VII on the vita is tempting. Never beat Ruby/Emerald weapon so that might be a good challenge.

I have so many fond memories of that game. Think it was 1998 when I first played it, so I would have been 13 which is probably prime age for it. I remember the feeling of wonder when you first step out of Midgar and realise there’s a huge world to explore.

It definitely changed my idea of what a game could achieve both technically and emotionally. I think the only other games that have had such a big impact are probably the first 2 Monkey Island games when I was 7/8 and the first Dark Souls.

I’ve been meaning to start a replay of IX for ages. Have it ready to go on the Vita but haven’t got round to it yet. I’ve only played through it once about 15 years ago, but in my memory it’s my favourite after VII and VI.

You know what, I might do this. I haven’t been feeling gaming much in general lately. Played a couple of things but more just mechanically going through the motions rather than actively enjoying the experience, but this could be fun!

It’s absolutely my favourite game of all time. First played it in 1998 at some point I think. Went on to finish it at least 10 times. I had one save game where everyone was at level 99, had their ultimate weapons and limit breaks, all materia mastered, plus enough knights of the round for everyone to have one, and I’d beaten Emerald and Ruby Weapon.

Also, I was tidying the cupboard under the stairs the other day and found these:

The only physical copies of any games I still own. Clearly it was meant to be!

7 Likes

I’ll wait for the remake, meanwhile you can watch a video online of a man completing it in eight hours.

Actually just remembered that last time i got to the gold saucer and i cba with it. Amazing game but some parts of it, life is too short to replay.

1 Like

Is this that thing that stoned dude that used to luve on iur sofa in the second year used to play?

I remember watching someone play this and dear christ the cut scene scripting made Half-Life look like Oscar material.

1 Like

Theo, don’t.

11 Likes

yes!

1 Like

not sure, I don’t think I know him

true but replaying something that’s so tied up with nostalgia and memories is just relaxing and therapeutic for me in a weird way. Happy to just grind out the levels and get the gold chocobo etc

25 years! Blimey!