Solo: A Star Wars Story

You could almost say it’s a Phantom Menace.

16 Likes

True, Superman II is the only notable one I can think of

Didn’t they just move them all after Episode VII was delayed by JJ?

That was purely to write a new ending and make sure he’d shot enough to be credited as director

Isn’t the whole point that we’ve never seen Vader do shit like that really? I mean, he’s choked a few guys (he’s a proper fucking bad ass HR-bothering boss in A New Hope, choking cunts left right and centre) but this was like "Oh, yeah, the Vader from the preqeuls was a whiny worthless shithead. Let’s really show him fucking shit up.

I mean, I’ve said before, Episode I and II should have been one 90 minute movie, and then Episode II and III should have been why Vader was such a bad ass, as he fucking conquered the galaxy, not through some odd machinations almost coup shit that actually happened.

3 Likes

I remember him being pretty laid back in this scene? (In a mass murdery way).

Yeah, that’s what I was going to say but foget - it was cool as fuck effortless. He didn’t just do a Kylo Ren fucking swinging his saber everywhere, it looked like he’d not even opened his fucking eyes when he fucked shit up.

4 Likes

Because he’s mostly machine, that’s why you don’t see it.

Three original films and not once did we say to ourselves, “he should fuck shit up more, he’s just not badass enough”

1 Like

Speak for yourself. I had a Vader toy and he fucked shit up all the time. All the time.

19 Likes

But he was still a great villain and it was nothing to do with how he was in that weird fan-wank final sequence of Rogue One.

The earlier bit of him in R1 is dreadful too.

1 Like

Can’t argue with this. It doesn’t work.

3 Likes

This had me chuckling this morning:

1 Like

not always a bad thing but i think it’s considered better if you just write and shoot a good film in the first place

1 Like

Fighting the good fight here my man. I respect you for getting Vader right, him just doing grunt work and going prequel with a lightsaber is very wrong indeed. He’s a slow monolithic menacing presence, always applying just the right amount of force (pun lol) in the right place to get his results. Stabbing grunts up close is not his style.

1 Like

Yeah I love rogue one but the vader scenes are the weakest

1 Like

And the last scene where he’s fucking shit up is great fun, but totally out of character and does the rest of the film a disservice in that it doesn’t make sense, this hero worship of a villain only briefly seen stops it from being a stand alone film. It would have been a better film without vader

1 Like

I would have effectively had him in the Tarkin role and then used CGI Tarkin sparingly. I mean Tarkin out ranks him in SW so better than to show Vader ‘failing’ and then Tarkin coming in as the fixer.

But Vader in that role is much better. Just has to be brooding and menacing and we still have the voice and the suit so no uncanny valley moments

1 Like

Yeah this would have totally worked better, could cut tarkin completely, lose the weird scene where yer man crybaby goes crying to Vader in his fucking secret palace lair or whatever, Vader could still fuck shit up at the end if you want and then it would make sense why crybaby was scared of him all the way through. Still, top 3 Star Wars films for me (empire > new hope > rouge > return > last > force awakens > clones > sith > I believe another film was made about podracing but I have no recollection of it)

podracing.> Rogue One

2 Likes

Gtfo

2 Likes