Solo: A Star Wars Story

Ah ok, but that only cost $150m

yeah, itā€™s a known expense and should be in the budget, shirley

Loving the P&L breakdown of cinematic releases chat.

1 Like

Iā€™m almost certain weā€™ve done this in this very thread already :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Rule of thumb is that half the box office gross goes to the cinemas and distributors, so a film needs to make double its budget to break even.

(Obviously a simplification and Iā€™ve read in new markets like China the amount going back can be a lot lower, but itā€™s pretty much still correct on a global scale.)

1 Like

(I genuinely am fwiw :smiley: )

1 Like

Like getting a tenner in a birthday card from an aunt who had a history of giving you Ā£20 each year.

2 Likes

The thing that still really irks me, just ever so slightly more than how he got his surname, is the use of the Imperial March in the Empireā€™s advertising campaign. I mean, ffsā€¦

Also, Han doesnā€™t now just sit around for 10 years waiting for the start of ANH - he turns to smuggling as a career, getting into many a-scrape and not solely at the behest of Jabba either. Iā€™m disappointed a sequel will (probably) not come to pass because they couldā€™ve set up beef between the cartels (Crimson Dawn, the Hutts etc) with Han caught in the middle. plus thrown in a set-to with Boba Fett for extra sauce.

Thereā€™s a movement on Twitter (#makeSolo2happen) so perhaps a mini-series on Disney+ could expand on everything Solo has laid out.

3 Likes

Yup. The single most egregious thing in any of the new Star Wars films.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t it absolutely shocking! So now we have to believe Star Destroyers have large speakers blaring out this kind of ā€˜party political anthemā€™ every time it occurs?

Yup. ā€œThe Imperial March is diegetic nowā€ absolutely awful.

1 Like

In space, no one can hear you DUM DUM DUM, DUM-DE-DUM DUM-DE-DUUUM

1 Like

They did it in Rebels (before Solo), too.

Watched a Rocky film recently where a band in a shot is playing the big Rocky theme.

Hate this stuff.

1 Like
2 Likes

Was it actually in the show? That clip is just an image and some theme music?

Now imagining Yub Nub in the style of Duel Of Fates.

a846d1746a95c447ec8a7861902853eb

2 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™m sensing spoilers for Bill & Ted 3ā€¦!

1 Like

Ah yes, I recall the episode with ā€˜Empire Dayā€™ now - still, even though Iā€™m a huge SW fan, Iā€™m not buying this particular thing. Couldā€™ve, sorry shouldā€™ve, just written a new piece of music.