Songs that your Spotify can't get enough of

You know, when you get to the end of an album and it sticks the ‘radio’ on.

For me:

Mercury Rev - Holes
Elliott Smith - Waltz #2 (X/O)
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen… (Elvis version)
Some NMH song that I always skip
The first track of Punisher by Phoebe Bridgers which is just an instrumental
Big Thief - Paul

Rockin’ in the Free World

1 Like

Top 2 Big Thief song right there

1 Like

Oh it’s a good song. I do like Spotify’s choices for me but they’re always the same!

2 Likes

Map Change by Every Time I Die. Every single time

100%, it just keeps playing the same songs by a reasonably varied selection of bands I did know before spotify and some that it introduced to me at the outset of my spotify experience. Why not play me a different song by whoever it is that sings that ‘wind on tin’ song that I quite like but am a bit sick of and have heard not one other song by?

It seems really obsessed with the things I was listening to when I started to use spotify regularly. Also I was listening to a fair amount of phoebe bridgers, Sharon van etten and Angel olsen when I first started using spotify and for this reason, I suspect, it plays me a lot more stuff by female artists than I’d expect most users hear; which is brilliant but also suggests that spotify lumps female artists together as a genre, which isn’t great. I could be wrong about this but it is a sneaking suspicion I have.

Kiwi Jr - Cooler Returns (from rinsing it earlier this year)
Waxahatchee - Fire (from rinsing it last year)

don’t really mind, both great

Lipstick by Ariel Pink seems to come up 9 times out of 10. Because I want to be reminded of Donald Trump whenever I finish listening to a record.

Dance by ESG or Eating Glue by Paranoid London.

Both of those are regulars on mine too (how bloody good is Cooler Returns? Perfect album)

1 Like

I honestly have no idea how anyone can deal with this setting. Every time an update resets it I am very very quick to turn it off again. It’s the musical equivalent of watching a great film and just as the credits begin to roll your mates start loudly chatting about irrelevant shit and the lights go up.

4 Likes

No-One Knows by QOTSA.

Every. Time.

Sunday Morning by Velvet Underground
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Gil Scott-Heron
Superstar by Sonic Youth for some reason

I now hate them all

I have this feature turned off like a self respecting duck should

1 Like

Sweet Jane - VU
Autumn Sweater - YLT
Paris 1919 - John Cale
LAGWAFIS - Spiritualized

I don’t mind it too much. Depends what I’m listening to. Sometimes it’s a nice way to find out about a band I’ve not heard before. But it’s the repetition that gets me.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough. I usually just use the Release Radar thingie for that although I have to say it’s been very poor in the last few months at giving me anything new or interesting.

Yep this comes on on mine all the time too. Don’t think I’ve ever listened to a single other ylt song. They are a real blind spot of mine.

I have this setting off, I’m surprised so many people leave it enabled.

If you really value it as a form of discovery then you can get the same results on demand by using the “album radio” or “song radio” function - this generates a 50-song playlist of music of broadly similar genre/popularity/listener base, giving a preferential weighting to records from that pool that you’ve listened to yourself in Spotify. As far as I can tell, that’s basically the same as what happens if Autoplay comes on at the end of an album.

Much prefer the Discover Weekly playlist algorithm, which prioritises newer releases and generally avoids records you’ve already heard.

1 Like

Our way to fall - Yo la tengo