Songs which segue well into general conversation

I reckon the popular songs with the best longevity are the ones which people break into from a particular line contained within.

For example, Hot In Herre still comes up semi-occasionally when someone comments on the temperature saying “it’s getting hot in here” or even slight variations thereof. Similarly, Rihanna has found a way to solidify her immortality through the medium of umbrellas, a device frequently used when it rains.

However a song like “Rhythm Of The Night” will never achieve this longevity due to the infrequency that someone will use that phrase. As a result the song gradually disappears from the social consciousness.

What other songs have achieved immortality through this specific form of banality?

2 Likes

Oh yeah

2 Likes

Join me dancing…

Get this all the time

1 Like

Join me dancing often come up in regular conversation for you?

1 Like

I think he means the phrase “naked in the rain” comes up a lot in his conversations.

1 Like

“Careful, that paint is wet/that plate is hot/that acid is ouchy”
“So… what are you saying?”
“[sigh] You can’t touch this.”
“WOAH OH OH OH OH!!!”

1 Like

I think i mean both

Everytime someone mentions sandwiches, I immediately break out a rendition of ‘bandages’ by hot hot heat, but with a key word slightly changed.

Is this the kind of thing you’re after?

5 Likes

That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about and that’s exactly the sort of thing I’d do.

WIN / WIN

I don’t know if this strictly qualifies, but I know I’m not alone. If anyone, in any situation, begins a query by saying “Question.” and then leaving a pause, that pause is getting filled by me saying “TellmewhatyouthinkaboutmeIbuymyowndiamondsandIbuymyownrings”.

(you have to say it quite fast otherwise they might have started asking the actual question)

10 Likes

Definitely counts.

Solid contribution to the thread.

1 Like

comes up whenever you leave a rural location

1 Like

“I’ll tell you what I want”

My dad still has to finish the line whenever someone says this

2 Likes

Whenever I have to inform someone that the forecast is for inclement weather, I always find myself humming “I Think It’s Gonna Rain Today” by Randy Newman.

“I Missed Again” by Phil Collins lends itself to so many situations.

“I missed again like I did last summer.”

1 Like

Pass me my umbrella… ella… ella… eyy

Thinks it’s the every day nature of the object and the lack of other songs on a similar topic which does it here

Edit 2: in the fackin’ op isn’t it

1 Like

Every time someone says it was a good day, I’m thinking “she didn’t even have to use her AK”

10 Likes

Husband trots this one out a lot, he usually goes with “no one I know got killed in South Central LA”

5 Likes

“That means nothing to me”
“Oh, Vienna”

6 Likes

A classic. Works both ways too i.e. someone says Vienna and you go “it means nothing to me”. Double the banalities

4 Likes