Songs whose first appearance is on a greatest hits album

Unrequited-love metal

• Totally Deserved
  • All other answers are wrong

0 voters

U2 - Electrical Storm

• Yes! It is one of the all time top U2 songs and obviously warrants inclusion on The Best Of 1990-2000 (despite being recorded in the year 2002). To be sure Bino and the gang should have put it out as a non-album single and THEN placed on The Best Of 2000-2010 sandwiched twixt Vertigo and The Sexy Boots Song but where’s the fun in that? The Hands That Built America is good too.
  • I hate U2

0 voters

1 Like

Springsteen - This Hard Land

• totally thoroughly completely and unmistakeably deserved
  • barely deserved
  • wrong answer

0 voters

New Order - True Faith

• Totally Deserved
  • Barely Deserved
  • Undeserved

0 voters

I hate myself for even mentioning it, but this came out as a single a couple of weeks before the Best of Blur.

Sorry :see_no_evil: #pedantalert

think that still counts - a lot of these are new songs put on a best of and released as a single to promote it

3 Likes

Does R.E.M.'s Bad Day count?

• Great
  • Alright
  • Pish

0 voters

Animal as well

• Totally deserved
  • Barely deserved
  • Undeserved

0 voters

Bob Dylan - You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere

• Totally deserved obviously
  • Barely deserved
  • Undeserved because I am a bad person

0 voters

wasn’t this written and recorded around the time of ‘Born in The USA’? Shelved it for the greatest hits package for the following year?

love this tune btw

EDIT: sorry just saw greatest hits was '95, thought late 80’s.

Dead kennedys - pull my strings

• Totally deserved
  • Barely deserved
  • Undeserved

0 voters

Yeah, there is a take of it from that time, but the GH version is a later recording. The earlier version came out later as part of the Tracks box. They’re both good, but I prefer this one. It’s one of my all time favourite Springsteen songs. I just love that line “Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive if you can / and meet me in a dream of this hard land”.

I have bootleg versions of fifteen or so unreleased tracks and alternate versions from the BITUSA sessions. If the box set ever comes out it’s going to be brilliant.

1 Like

Glad to see Spoon getting the Hreatest Hits treatment. Not convinced by that tracklist though… (the order more than anything)

Door To The River was also on Forever Delayed…

• Totally deserved
  • Barely deserved
  • Undeserved

0 voters

Need to hear this one again, but nice to hear guitars on it.

Best Supergrass song by a long shot.

didn’t really like it at the time but think it’s quite good now. not their best but they probably didn’t do anything after it that was as good

1 Like

i can’t remember what the other new song on their best of was

The song 4 Ever Delayed was much better than either of the new ones they put on it. Strange decision making.

1 Like