Songs with near-universal/crossover appeal

Nominate a song which you think would be enjoyed by both of the following categories of listener:

1. The general public (including those who aren’t particularly interested in music or perhaps only listen to the charts/one radio station/Spotify playlists)
  2. People who are very interested in music (including DiS users, Pitchfork readers, High Fidelity types, etc.)

To clarify, we are looking for crossover appeal here, not just a song that is merely “inoffensive”. It needs to have that rare combination of mainstream appeal and indie credibility. It doesn’t matter how obscure the song is - if you think both 1) and 2) would enjoy it if you were to play it for them, then it counts.

My pick is:

12 Likes

Crazy Frog

5 Likes

Think most Motown-era stuff fits this bill pretty well tbh

28 Likes

Basically the unofficial national anthem at this point. Not a single human being from 0 to 90 years old doesn’t know all the words to this from muscle memory

8 Likes

My mum loves REM - so I’ll go with them

Any of the hits from OOT or AFTP

1 Like

Agreed, I think motown/northern soul type stuff plus maybe a few pop bangers stand the best chance here

1 Like

Think the ‘sad banger’ has a good chance. Winner Takes It All, Dancing On My Own etc etc.

2 Likes

I think my mum would be a good reference point too - she says that music interferes with her thoughts (although I’m yet to be overwhelmed by the quality of those uninterfered-with thoughts, no offence mum). Losing My Religion could be a shout

22 Likes

soft rock ballads probably stand a good chance, but then, folks are weird so who knows

1 Like
4 Likes
2 Likes

Something by the Prodigy I guess

good point - another person’s misery is sure to go down a storm

1 Like
11 Likes
12 Likes

One of the bigger Arctic Monkeys ones, I Wanna Be Yours or something maybe.

also

14 Likes

You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon

7 Likes