Songs with "simultaneous singing"

I was already thinking of this as a thread, but the Sleater-Kinney inspired stop-start drumming thread pushed me to post…

So, songs where there are 2 people singing different melodies and different lyrics at the same time. Which seems to really work for me. Examples:

8 Likes

Jimmy Eat World does this during the bridge in Blister, one of my favorite bits.

3 Likes

The end of Theater 83 by Sauna Youth sort of has this.

3 Likes

Obviously this

1 Like

Little known fact: Jimmy Eat World once crashed on the basement floor at my parents’ house in the mid/late 90s

3 Likes

Really like MIKE’s rapping against the grain of the vocal sample in this:

1 Like
11 Likes

R.E.M. were great at this, mostly because of the amazing Mike Mills. Two other examples that spring to mind are him singing “dreams, they complement my life” while Stipe’s words are “dreams, they complicate my life” in Get Up, and then when Stipe’s going on about the end of the world as we know it, Mills is looking on the bright side and singing about how it’s time he had some time alone anyway.

15 Likes
1 Like

Pavement - …And Carrot Rope

9 Likes

Not sure if it counts since there’s only probably a second of overlap each time it happens, but it’s too good not to post.

3 Likes

Ah shit, I need to make a correction after checking with my brother. It was New Found Glory, not Jimmy Eat World. My sincerest apologies.

But they’re pretty much the same band, right?

2 Likes

Definitely the best song with simultaneous singing about wanking

1 Like

Also from Animal Collective

5 Likes

'Nother mention of R.E.M but I love the layering of melodies on Harborcoat, might be why it’s one of my favourite songs of theirs

8 Likes
1 Like

Etc….

3 Likes

I love this song so much, the people singing do a really good job