Sophia - As We Make Our Way (Unknown Harbours)

Vastly under-heard album from this year, although could say the same about the Hammock, Holy Esque and Eagulls albums too. Surely I can’t be the only one that rates these so highly??

Much preferred The God Machine to the one Sophia album I’ve heard - is this a good’un then?

Depends - the more mellow God Machine (It’s All Over etc.) is where Robin has headed with Sophia for the most part. The last 3 or 4 albums have been excellent, if you accept it’s never going to be The God Machine - in some ways I like them more the God Machine.

Definitely considered it for my top 5, will probably just miss out. But it is a very good album and would probably be in my top 10 for the year. Went to the album launch show at the Lexington which was also great.

First two albums are still the best for me though - I prefer the desperately sad scaled back stuff to the direction they started to take with people are like seasons (which the new album is closer to).

The Lexington show was great - we travelled from Scotland for it as it was the only UK date all year! Funnily enough, I like People Are Like Seasons and the more recent albums more. Not because they’re not so sad, but I like the orchestration and the fuller sound.